West Corporation - Virtually create your own schedule and pay | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for West Corporation

"Virtually create your own schedule and pay"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pensacola, FL
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pensacola, FL

I worked at West Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I could pick up/drop hours in real time and that gave me a lot of flexibility to do anything I wanted. I was young and single and saving up for grad school so my relationship with West was perfect. I got plenty of overtime if I wanted it, plenty of downtime too (certain parts of the year were heavier than others). I was one of many so I got away with a lot of things that normal jobs wouldn't tolerate such as calling in at the last minute and leaving early without prior notice. I also wasn't forced to work directly with anyone so I worked at my own pace without having to worry about scheduled breaks and meetings.

Cons

I put in a LOT of overtime and did my best to satisfy customers (i.e. I tried REALLY hard) but it seemed to go unappreciated by management. Not that I was looking for a raise or promotion, but I felt that the supervisors and even some team leads had pompous attitudes and treated customer service reps like lowly peasants. When my quality assurance scores were low I was written and given coaching, but after I brought my scores up and was in the top 5 scores (out of 100 reps) four weeks in a row, one certificate was put on the bulletin board in my honor. No one told me about it and my name was spelled wrong- I didn't know it was supposed to be mine for about 2 months.

Advice to Management

Provide your customer service reps with enough information to make them take ownership of their job. Make incentives be equally as great as punishments or your service reps will eventually feel under appreciated and give a lackluster performance.

Other Employee Reviews for West Corporation

1. "I found West a fun place to work, Met some great people."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Erie, PA

I worked at West Corporation part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Picking up or posting hours. Learning about products you see on t.v, Commission on some products, Advancements.

Cons

Being sent home because not enough call volume. Being shifted around not always knowing which croup you would be working for.

Advice to Management

Pay employees better money.

"Hearding cats at a loonie bin..."

Former Employee - Cust Serv Representative/Sales Representative in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Cust Serv Representative/Sales Representative in Reno, NV

I worked at West Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best reason? Well, as long as you're working there, you will get paid something.

Cons

Downsides... let me count here...

I worked at the Reno office, and I've looked over some of the reviews on here stating turnover rates at over 100%. When I left in September of '13, it was at 176% for sales, and around 146% for the tech side.

To start, here are a few things that come to mind as a negative for West...

I have had nearly every person in any sort of management position lie to me at one point or another. On my second month on the sales floor, I requested to move to the tech support side. (I have a lot of experience in both, but was lied to DURING THE INTERVIEW about "no jobs in the tech side". I was tired of the super high call volume, no downtime between, plus dealing with scammers trying to get free phones and other such things that mess with your numbers.) I was told, and I quote, "give me a really good February, and I'll do my best for you to get you to tech"... I sold 95 lines, 6 UVerses, with a 22% conversion. To anyone that works there, that's a hell of a month, especially for the shortest month of the year. Guess what he said after this great month? "Sorry, nothing I can do..."... AND, to add insult to injury, instead of the $2600 in bonus alone I should have gotten for that month... I received $800. Why? I was shown a grocery list of metrics that each one I was short on cut into that $2600. Great, huh?

The place was so stressful, with so called management AND the "fine" customer base that called in, I developed diagnosed high blood pressure. Now that I'm away from there, I can drop the meds, but it still runs higher than it ever did BEFORE going to work in that booby hatch.

If you smoke, don't bother going there either... You're there for a 8.5 hour day, in which you get a 30 minute unpaid lunch, and two, 10 minute breaks... you are also allowed a very generous SEVEN MINUTES of break time for... wait for it... GOING TO THE RESTROOM. I kid you not. You were allowed seven minutes TOTAL... as in for the entire 8.5 hours of work time, to use the bloody bathroom.

Another thing... there is no such thing as "ethics" there. I was told by management to lie to customers calling in. It didn't matter how outlandish the lie was, just lie to them. Most of the lying was in relation to things like quality of merchandise, speeds of internet on the phone service or UVerse, telling people "sorry, I don't have the software to help you with that issue, so let me get you to the correct department" because hell YES we had the software, but if we helped that customer, without including a sale in the call, that would hit the precious bottom line for that supervisor... great, huh?

I am 48 years old. I have been working since I was 14. This is, hands down, the absolute WORST work environment I've even been subjected to.

Advice to Management

Advice to upper management? QUIT. Ninety nine plus percent of the management in ANY capacity there are worthless, and all need to be replaced with human beings with a management skill set.