Westat - Dignifying | Glassdoor

"Dignifying"

Former Employee - Clinical Data Manager in Rockville, MD
Former Employee - Clinical Data Manager in Rockville, MD

Pros

Flexible Hours
Great Health Insurance
private office space/Cubicle
Work with academic peers and not just people with little academic background who have experience.
Management was very respectful
Work although generally boring, could be challenging when deadlines came around
wonderful coworkers
nice campus
You could look for projects within westat that you would like to work in
End of year Party was great.
Birthday celebrations were great.
Casual Atmosphere
And to mention it again, Dignifying

Cons

The Pay compared to other places of comparable work and workload was horrid. It was the job I made the least salary in, but the Benefits package was highly generous.

It was painful to see that they consistently hired people from outside, when there were very few people not working a Westat office job (if any) with a degree less than A Bachelors degree. Yet they hired people of equal or even less competence from outside.

Pay increase was very low.

Advice to Management

Increase Pay. A lot of the employees are talented, and most of the time want to stay, but the pay is a real turn-off and people end up leaving. most people I worked with, loved working there, but for the pay.

Other Employee Reviews for Westat

"Interesting studies - horrible pay"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Rockville, MD

Pros

The kinds of studies that Westat wins are out of this world! There are so many different types of studies that it's fairly easy to find something interesting to do-if you know the right people.

Cons

The process for getting on projects is too informal. For the most part, I was spending a lot of time searching for my own projects and this is unnerving especially when you are getting paid peanuts and are worried how you'll buy gas and food.

Advice to Management

The advancement process is not effective and kills morale and is discouraging. It's presented as if it's a secret and it's up to the employee to figure it out. This is not possible if you have a family.

"Interesting, low paying job."

Current Employee - Field Interviewer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Field Interviewer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

It's nice to be able to work my own schedule. The training was thorough and the people are nice.

Cons

I would recommend negotiating for higher rate of pay. I know that some people, and not necessarily the top performers, have negotiated a higher hourly rate. There are constant threats from management regarding performance and numbers. This feels much more like a sales job - getting your quota - than an interviewing position.

Advice to Management

Trust your interviewers. Raise your pay to industry standards . Stop threatening your workers with the possibility of being let go because they haven't been able to "convince" people to do an interview. We all know that in this economy that there are people waiting to take our job. We don't need to be reminded of this every two days.