Westat - Reputable company who offers a great paid training program and career opportunity | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Westat

"Reputable company who offers a great paid training program and career opportunity"

Current Employee - Field Interviewer
Current Employee - Field Interviewer

I have been working at Westat part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Excellent paid training program for Field Interviewers
- Good hourly pay plus mileage
- Ability to work without direct supervision
- Flexibility of your schedule/hours
- Room for growth?

Cons

- Must be available to work any hour of the day or night and any day of the week, including weekends
- Company tells you to say interviews (for this particular study) takes 1 1/2 hours to complete, but they actually take anywhere from 2 - 4 hours to complete.
- No real concern for Field Interviewers' safety in the field.
- No benefits available (that I'm aware of) for Field Interviewers

Advice to Management

- There ARE major differences in locations when it comes to gaining cooperation for interviews. This needs to be taken into consideration when one field interviewer might be doing 3 or 4 interviews/week, while another is only doing 1 or 2. It doesn't necessarily mean that one person is working harder or the other is slacking off. Some respondents are much less trusting and have much more to hide in the poverty stricken/higher crime areas than those living in better areas.
- The interview time needs to be tested more thoroughly. There is NO WAY the interview for this particular study takes only 1 1/2 hours to complete, and we shouldn't be asked to lie to respondents about the length of time they can expect it to take.
- Someone should really go over the interview questions better before sending interviewers into the field. There are SO many repetitive questions, it is truly obnoxious, not only to the interviewer, but especially to the respondent. The interview questions could have been cleaned up A LOT and would have saved a ton of time on each interview.
- SAFETY issues really need to be addressed at training. There was absolutely NO training on field interviewer safety precautions/procedures other than some quick discussions when we raised questions, like what we can or can't do to protect ourselves in the field; tips to keep us safer; etc. This was actually very shocking to all of us at training, but what's worse was when we asked questions about certain safety concerns, the trainers poo poo'd our concerns and actually called us "wimps" for being nervous about potentially entering homes of felons/sex offenders, etc. This is outrageous and disturbing. The safety of Westat's employees should be their FIRST concern and priority.

Other Employee Reviews for Westat

"Disappointing"

Pros

If you are a Field Interviewer you only have to be marginally intelligent. In fact, most of the so-called Managers at Westat have little if any field experience to be of any assistance to those in the field.If you can ignore the stupidity at the home office you can have a somewhat pleasant experience.

Cons

For an organization that has grown to their size they seem incredibly disorganized - I wonder how they even "win" some of the contracts given their inability to carry out basic research methodology and protocol. They waste an awful lot of money - nobody there seems to have an inkling on how to efficiently run field operations.

Advice to Management

I don't know how profitable the company is, but I assure you it could be much more so if you trained staff in not duplicating tasks. I would also remove some of the "old-timers" who are not competent and recruit individuals who are much more interested in performing good research and plotting out a career as opposed to just hanging onto their jobs.

"Bad Experience at this Firm"

Pros

flexible work hours; nice gym; cafeteria is very good and cheap; everyone gets an office pretty much regardless of level; kitchens

Cons

I was hired in a senior position and was then put in an office and not given any work or management responsibilities, despite the discussions of such during the job interview. I had a very bad experience here.

Advice to Management

make sure you keep to your commitments and follow-thru after you hire someone; there is no reason to hire people and let them sit idle.