Westat - On behalf of a quiet friend | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Westat

"On behalf of a quiet friend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Westat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Uh? Good question I suppose. Decent hours? They'll keep you busy.

Cons

I'm the roommate of a current employee who simply can't stand working there anymore. Every day he'll come home and rant about how miserable the day was. He's underpaid, overworked and under appreciated.

How do I know this for a fact? I used to work there myself. If you have the opportunity to work somewhere else, do it.

No real opportunity to further your position.
Compensation is on the very low end for the work asked of you.
Management is a boy's club (women included) and everyone else is trash. If you aren't in it, good luck.

Advice to Management

Employees are not your slaves - stop treating them as such.

Other Employee Reviews for Westat

"Nice well qualified people; not much time spent on promotion and marketing"

Current Employee - Senior Study Director in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Study Director in Rockville, MD

Pros

Respect for staff is embedded in the culture. Dearth of big egos and high-conflict individuals. A real employee stock ownership plan that allows long-time staff to benefit from company success. Well respected for research and data collection expertise.

Cons

Not many people know about Westat, how to spell/pronounce the name, or what the company does. Web site very dated and lacks details about staff, projects, news about the company.

"It has been very-very good for me! I would be missing this job and people..."

Current Employee - Contractor, Part-time in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Contractor, Part-time in New York, NY

Pros

As a part-time Contractor, I have absolutely flexible schedule. I may work at any time: late nights, overnights, weekends, holidays - whenever 24/7. Any days off for personal reason - no questions asked. Vacation is unlimited, could be taken any time with 3 weeks acknowledgement.

Cons

As a part-time Contractor, I have no Health Insurance. Vacation is unpaid. Training is good, but not always enough for new employees at the beginning.

Advice to Management

The company conducts a lot of different projects in diverse industries. Therefor, it is difficult to advice anything to Management.