Cover image for Western Governors University

Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

May 11, 2019 - Faculty in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

I truly love working for WGU. This is a dynamic place full of people who care about their jobs, their students, and the future of education. I've worked in two departments so far and can honestly say WGU is a fast paced environment that braces new technology and isnt afraid to address areas of improvement. There are likely those who just do their job for the paycheck, but I think those are far and few between. It would be tough for me to want to leave WGU.

Cons

There are very few cons other than at times due to the organizational structure, those in leadership fail to consult with individual contributors about changes they are SME's on. Many in leadership could benefit from connecting with faculty and mentors rather than middle management.

Continue reading
    3 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Culture and opportunities

Dec 3, 2022 - Program Mentor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

WGU offers a very supportive top-down culture and many opportunities for professional growth. They invest in their employees.

Cons

Consistent changes in processes and programs for the benefit of employees and students. It is important to embrace change and realize that you will have the tools and support to be successful.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

It Depends on Which Department You Work For

Dec 3, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is a certain level of autonomy that I enjoy. I am fully remote. I get to interact with several departments across the university which is fun.

Cons

The pay is not up to snuff with the other higher education institutions. This could very well only apply to certain positions, but the requirements for certain roles are also ridiculous and the opposite of equitable. Just compare some similar positions with say, Harvard. One would think that an institution like Harvard would have one of the more stringent "check every box" hiring requirements, but they don't because they realize not everyone who is intelligent and very capable at their job doesn't have a formal degree. It's called "equal work experience" or "preferred" instead of "required." A lot of talent being left out of this work place.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Western Governors University.

Western Governors University Careers

Cover image for Western Governors University

Hi there and thank you for taking the time to learn more about us! Here at WGU, we believe that talent is universal—even if opportunity...More

• Our Story

Western Governors University photo of: Town Hall
Western Governors University photo of: WGU employees at Town Hall
Western Governors University photo of: Town Hall event
Western Governors University photo of: WGU employees at a Town Hall event
Western Governors University photo of: WGU employee receiving a prize pack at a Town Hall event
Western Governors University photo of: Employees during Town Hall