Western Governors University - Not too bad, could be better | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Western Governors University

"Not too bad, could be better"

Current Employee - Student Mentor - Faculty in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Student Mentor - Faculty in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home, flexible schedules, see direct impact in some students' lives, organization has a fantastic mission statement

Cons

Not paid enough for hours I put in, micromanaging middle management, too much focus on KPI's instead of on the student, loss of focus on the mission statement, goals that lead to company bonuses becoming unreachable because of lack of feedback from upper management to lower ranks, complete and total lack of internal customer service - good luck in applying for a promotion and getting feedback from HR

Advice to Management

Let us talk to you about goals and what we realistically see happening, quit making pronouncements from on high and expecting us to figure out how to implement them, make the bonuses untethered from KPI goals so we don't feel so unethical about pushing numbers over individual student situations, when we apply for an internal position - help us with that, develop all of us, not just those with the highest KPI's.

Other Employee Reviews for Western Governors University

"Unprofessional, horrible work experience"

I worked at Western Governors University full-time

Pros

Most people are nice there. Some people get to work from home eventually.

Cons

Horrible pay. Unprofessional behavior by everyone, including management (discussing personnel issues in front of other employees). Inadequate training.

Advice to Management

This university has the worst customer service I've ever seen. Transferring students all over because no one can answer their questions. Allowing employees to do whatever they want creates a work environment that's a joke and no one takes their job seriously.

"Love it, but they punish promotions"

Current Employee - Applications Support Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Applications Support Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, work from home possibilities, great environment, wonderful people

Cons

Salary % cap on promotions, no set salaries for position, no salary structure, you can make more being hired on off the street than you can promoted from internal

Advice to Management

HR needs to re-vamp the salary structure so that two people in the same position are making comparable salaries