KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Current Employee

Amazing place to work

Sep 2, 2021 - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic company culture, they take a lot of time recognize their employees Amazing company mission Sense of purpose Flexible Great work/life balance

Cons

Health insurance is only okay - could be better

6 people found this review helpful

Western Governors University Response

People & Talent

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and for letting us know where we can improve.

1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Love working here!

Sep 28, 2022 - Enrollment Counselor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Family atmosphere,. Friendly, supportive, and goal oriented leadership.

Cons

Challenges with communicating with other departments.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Don't... unless you simply have to

Sep 26, 2022 - Instructor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Any pros depend on your immediate supervisor. Don't have to commute or buy "work clothes". Have some say in your work schedule, but will work more than 40 hours/week to try to "keep up" until you learn shortcuts or not to care.

Cons

Lower pay across the board than national averages; generally about 25-30% lower. Favoritism and "secrecy" about everything including performance appraisal process and promotion. Impossible job performance goals and time when you're not at work for weekends or vacations counts against your required Goals. General lack of respect and requirements to treat adult students as customers VS adult students or learners. If a student doesn't complete a course or assignment on time, the instructor takes the hit on performance goals. Must tell students to call you by your first name; can't ask students to call you Dr. _____. Admin sees that as a potential intimidation factor and a "barrier" to student success. (some people care about that, others don't). Many mid managers promoted to that position have less knowledge and experience than those they supervise; admin likes that so they can train them "their way". Many managers micro-manage terribly. Total lack of academic freedom. Must teach content their way and with only their resources and texts. I could go on...

Continue reading
    3 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Western Governors University.

Western Governors University Careers

Cover image for Western Governors University

Hi there and thank you for taking the time to learn more about us! Here at WGU, we believe that talent is universal—even if opportunity...More

• Our Story

Western Governors University photo of: Town Hall
Western Governors University photo of: WGU employees at Town Hall
Western Governors University photo of: Town Hall event
Western Governors University photo of: WGU employees at a Town Hall event
Western Governors University photo of: WGU employee receiving a prize pack at a Town Hall event
Western Governors University photo of: Employees during Town Hall