Cover image for Western Governors University

Current Employee

Mission Focused but Little opportunity for growth

Nov 22, 2022 - Project Manager 3
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone I work with, great passion to serve students. Very mission and purpose focused.

Cons

Promotion proceeds is not transparent at all. Little opportunities for growth unless you are a “people leader” as opposed to an individual contributor.

1 person found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Outstanding experience

Jan 22, 2023 - Faculty Evaluator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible, ethical, positive environment with fantastic leadership

Cons

WGU is a non-profit so pay isn’t very high- but they are very generous in other ways!

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Increasingly dissatisfied

Dec 29, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

It’s getting harder and harder to enjoy my job. The expectations are unrealistic, workload/caseload has increased significantly (more than an additional 30%) than what I was initially told I would be responsible for. Feel duped, to be honest. Hard to find a pro with the pile-on of excess work.

Cons

The CEO (that’s what he actually is, but his title is university “President”) has changed the management structure so that it’s now more top-heavy and key decisions that impact the lower ranks are made most often without consultation from the people it impacts. It’s becoming more and more like Amazon (where the CEO came from), with crazy , stressful, workload expectations. Can’t take a vacation without your Key Performance Indicators being impacted (they never shut off even when you’re out of office for weekends or requested time off). Major issues with accountability, and an employee often feels pressured (by KPI or other) to work even when out of office.

Continue reading
    7 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Western Governors University.

Western Governors University Careers

Cover image for Western Governors University

Hi there and thank you for taking the time to learn more about us! Here at WGU, we believe that talent is universal—even if opportunity...More

• Our Story

Western Governors University photo of: Town Hall
Western Governors University photo of: WGU employees at Town Hall
Western Governors University photo of: Town Hall event
Western Governors University photo of: WGU employees at a Town Hall event
Western Governors University photo of: WGU employee receiving a prize pack at a Town Hall event
Western Governors University photo of: Employees during Town Hall