Cover image for Western Governors University

Add a Review

Employee Review

1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great work/life balance and high pay

Nov 28, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is better than most universities Work from home Good work/life balance Great colleagues Innovative

Cons

Miscommunication - multiple communications happening simultaneously- creates disorganization

1 person found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Current MBA Student

Jan 27, 2023 - Graduate Student
    Business Outlook

Pros

Depending on your enthusiasm for learning the competencies, you can learn much in the WGU MBA program. My highlights were Management, Ethical Leadership, and the Capstone. The simulation I worked through for the Capstone was a huge highlight!

Cons

You must be self-motivated, a self-starter, and willing to write many papers.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Increasingly dissatisfied

Dec 29, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

It’s getting harder and harder to enjoy my job. The expectations are unrealistic, workload/caseload has increased significantly (more than an additional 30%) than what I was initially told I would be responsible for. Feel duped, to be honest. Hard to find a pro with the pile-on of excess work.

Cons

The CEO (that’s what he actually is, but his title is university “President”) has changed the management structure so that it’s now more top-heavy and key decisions that impact the lower ranks are made most often without consultation from the people it impacts. It’s becoming more and more like Amazon (where the CEO came from), with crazy , stressful, workload expectations. Can’t take a vacation without your Key Performance Indicators being impacted (they never shut off even when you’re out of office for weekends or requested time off). Major issues with accountability, and an employee often feels pressured (by KPI or other) to work even when out of office.

5 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Western Governors University.

Western Governors University Careers

Cover image for Western Governors University

Hi there and thank you for taking the time to learn more about us! Here at WGU, we believe that talent is universal—even if opportunity...More

• Our Story

Western Governors University photo of: Town Hall
Western Governors University photo of: WGU employees at Town Hall
Western Governors University photo of: Town Hall event
Western Governors University photo of: WGU employees at a Town Hall event
Western Governors University photo of: WGU employee receiving a prize pack at a Town Hall event
Western Governors University photo of: Employees during Town Hall