Cover image for Western Governors University

Add a Review

Employee Review

1. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Yay for working from home Boo on the pay

Sep 25, 2015 - Evaluator in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home, you can schedule your own schedule, helpful teammates, a positive place to be.

Cons

The pay is so low and shameful. I have 2 Master's Degrees and my pay is 1/3 what is was when I taught Kindergarten. It's sad that many many excellent evaluators have to leave because they can't afford to work at WGU.

Continue reading
    2 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Wonderful Employer

Dec 7, 2022 - Program Mentor in Charleston, WV
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay and benefits, desirable culture, flexible scheduling, and working from a home office is a huge plus!

Cons

You must be a very self-motivated individual to be effective but if this is understood, it is not really a con.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

It Depends on Which Department You Work For

Dec 3, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is a certain level of autonomy that I enjoy. I am fully remote. I get to interact with several departments across the university which is fun.

Cons

The pay is not up to snuff with the other higher education institutions. This could very well only apply to certain positions, but the requirements for certain roles are also ridiculous and the opposite of equitable. Just compare some similar positions with say, Harvard. One would think that an institution like Harvard would have one of the more stringent "check every box" hiring requirements, but they don't because they realize not everyone who is intelligent and very capable at their job doesn't have a formal degree. It's called "equal work experience" or "preferred" instead of "required." A lot of talent being left out of this work place.

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Western Governors University.

Western Governors University Careers

Cover image for Western Governors University

Hi there and thank you for taking the time to learn more about us! Here at WGU, we believe that talent is universal—even if opportunity...More

• Our Story

Western Governors University photo of: Town Hall
Western Governors University photo of: WGU employees at Town Hall
Western Governors University photo of: Town Hall event
Western Governors University photo of: WGU employees at a Town Hall event
Western Governors University photo of: WGU employee receiving a prize pack at a Town Hall event
Western Governors University photo of: Employees during Town Hall