Westinghouse - chaotic firm - poor management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Westinghouse

"chaotic firm - poor management"

Current Employee - Strategy Analyst in Cranberry, PA
Current Employee - Strategy Analyst in Cranberry, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good position in industry, good products, good pay for young engineers, a few good older engineers willing to mentor if you can find them. Decent for young accountants, too.

Decent compensation and benefits. Low workload. (Pro from a personal perspective - not good for the firm.)

Decent facilities at main HQ. Decent location if you want to live in the 'burbs.

Cons

Lots of nepotism and cronyism - leaders are promoted based on tenure and personal politics and not on business acumen, mission focus, or leadership ability. Too many average engineers promoted into non-engineering and/or management roles. Far too rare to see executives fired or demoted for below-average performance. This HR strategy and culture means too many incompetent people wind up with power inside the firm and drives away too many promising leaders.

Advice to Management

Most of you should be replaced with executives who can focus on running a business and delivering high-quality earnings. Place more emphasis on hiring and retaining competent engineers and leaders and get rid of executives who can't perform - stop punishing employees for your poor performance.

Other Employee Reviews for Westinghouse

"Flexible and friendly"

Current Employee - Drafter in Cranberry, PA
    Current Employee - Drafter in Cranberry, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay seems to be high for this area. The flex time is a life saver to both parents with school children and young professionals that don't want to wake up at 6 am every morning. They have a ton of in house training that can really help you learn more about the field we work in along with building your resume. It is also a great location, not being down town and all.

Cons

Sometimes the work become monotonous. Most people I know that leave, which isn't many, leave because they are bored.

Advice to Management

Watch for lower management favoritism. I know it is everywhere, but there really are not to many issues.

"Just like the comic strip Dilbert"

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time

Pros

Flexible work week. Actually has a pension. Provides an additional 2 "floating holidays" per year that are nice. The work itself is challenging and resume as well as confidence building.

Cons

Its like working for the same company Dilbert does. Forecasts are never right, disconnect between levels in the company is massive and once in a job, getting even a lateral move is unnecessarily difficult. Lacks transparency- layoffs occurred at our site with no notice, nor any notification our co-workers were gone.

Advice to Management

Cranberry and the rest of the company are not on the same page. Anytime I hear a communication coming from Cranberry it is very obvious there is no communication to between the two sites. Accounting doesn't know what Supply Chain is doing and set goals directly in conflict of one another- and we all suffer for it.
    Also why bother having a mission statement if has no impact on our goals or is never referred to?