Weyerhaeuser - Would I recommned them YES, would I go return, I don't think so | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Weyerhaeuser

"Would I recommned them YES, would I go return, I don't think so"

Former Employee - Project Manager
Former Employee - Project Manager

Pros

Prof Growth Opps
Generally Hire very good "line-level" associates
Benefits and work environment are very good
Safety is highest priority, even in the office environment

Cons

In a cyclical industry, so layoffs are not uncommon
Not always looking for long term value in software development
Don't really understand how software development needs to work, still treat it like building they are building a widget.

Advice to Management

Enter the 21st century when it comes to the way in which software can better be developed.

Other Employee Reviews for Weyerhaeuser

1. "This Used to Be My Playground"

Pros

One of the few south-end companies. Mid-level managers are receptive to discussion and are responsive to needs.

Cons

Changes in benefits - medical, pension, 401K. I can understand cutting back on these types of things as times are currently tough. It was recently announced, however, that these changes would be permanent as (if) the company starts growing again.
    This company has never been fiscally responsible. When the have money, they spend it stupidly and when times are tough, the workers bear the brunt of the burden to save money (i.e. layoffs, reduction in benefits, training, etc).
    Outsourcing - Weyco has given away their best resource; Intellectual Property. They have outsourced most of the tribal knowledge and now are left with most of the people that can't get jobs anywhere else or folks that are too new to the company to know what the culture/process.

I could go on and on...but what is the point.

Advice to Management

You used to say that "IT is not a core competency", so you outsourced it. I say Senior Management is not a core competency, lets outsource you...oh wait..that will probably happen when Weyerhaeuser (the 100-year-old American company) gets bought by a Chinese conglomerate.

2. "Not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

Pros

If you were to ask me 5 years ago, I would have said that it was a great place to work, good benefits, good career development opportunities, great people to work for. Now, as many others have posted, it's all about the bottom line. I understand that the company is in pretty dire financial straits, but management says it supports its employees and considers employees a critical asset, but then doesn't act as such. Ever since Rogel took over the company, it's been a steady slide downhill.

Cons

With the current environment, benefits aren't what they were (but are still decent I suppose), the direction of IT management is pretty frightening when speculating about succession plans, and when the company starts picking up again, there aren't going to be any knowledgeable people left to help support that growth cycle.

Advice to Management

Look closely at what certain managers are doing and who they have decided to keep. If you want to be able to respond quickly when the market picks up again, you need to make sure you have a strategy in place to retain the few folks you have left, otherwise they're going to jump ship.