Weyerhaeuser - Was good to work for; now seems more focused on stockholders | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Weyerhaeuser

"Was good to work for; now seems more focused on stockholders"

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have a great boss, which makes my job wonderful and overall the company is very concerned about employee safety. My boss is supportive when it comes to training and work/life balance. In past years, it's been great to work here--pay is good and I worked with an incredible group of very talented, smart and fun people.

Cons

The housing crash has made this company slash jobs--which was understandable for a while. But it's been going on now for nearly 7 years! Even though the economy is now improving and profits are up, they are still looking for ways to cut, cut cut---even when the cuts don't make sense. Recent changes are really impacting customers, which will definitely hurt the company in the long run. Both customers and employees are now taking a back seat to stockholders and the bottom line. I no longer trust that the leaders of this company. Their decisions seemed very short-sighted.

Advice to Management

Don't treat your employees like numbers. Recognize the contributions that long-term, talented and knowledgeable employees give to this company. Stop being so short-sighted and realize that all this cutting and slashing will hurt your customer base--and your reputation--in the long run. You're also supplying your competitors with a lot of hard-working, talented employees!

Other Employee Reviews for Weyerhaeuser

1. "Great Company"

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time

Pros

Great coworkers
    Career growth opportunities
    Proven company

Cons

Business can be cyclical which can lead to uncertainty

2. "A mixed bag in Oregon"

Current Employee - Millwright
    Current Employee - Millwright

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A genuine and sincere focus on safety, which I laud, but..........Compensation is slightly above average, and health insurance is ok. Workload is reasonably to easy.

Cons

Very slow to react, with the exception to safety. If safety were a salable commodity we'd have the corner, block, and city on the market, but its not. Don't misunderstand, I have worked elsewhere, to others safety is a word given lip service, here it is the real thing. Some things, however, need to be dealt with common sense.

A lot of talent and experience is wasted because of ineptitude, ego, and territorialism by middle management. Meetings, and the voluminous amount of Emails don't help me do my job; a Manager and Planning Dept. that are there to support me would. Work Orders that tell me my housekeeping responsibilities, or the need to review upcoming jobs for parts etc waste your time and don't benefit me.

In general, a lot of missed opportunity.

Advice to Management

You really need to buy into that people are your greatest asset!