Whitbread - Alright place to work | Glassdoor

"Alright place to work"

Former Employee - Barman in Caernarfon, Wales (UK)
Former Employee - Barman in Caernarfon, Wales (UK)

I worked at Whitbread (Less than a year)

Pros

A nice friendly place to work with focus on training and development rather than a blame culture. Provide a nice working environment.

Cons

The hours you can be expected to work are very long especially if you are on your feet all day. Work days end up being the same.

Other Employee Reviews for Whitbread

1. "Fun working atmosphere but too many targets and management changes"

Former Employee - Front of House/Waiter
    Former Employee - Front of House/Waiter

I worked at Whitbread part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Often the Front of House teams in the restaurants are quite young so this can make for a fun and sociable working life. Wages and the tip system is brilliant if you're a waiter - can double earnings. Lots of shifts and over-time usually available and people will be quite flexible about swapping shifts.

Cons

Too much brand standards to adhere to and which are changed too often. Sometimes feel the service is just too rigid and pushes individuality out of Front of House staff - can even take customer focus away from staff as they are under time and performance pressures. Management seems to change rather regularly in the restaurants, not very coherent for staff - and often favoritism and personal relationships get in the way of effective management.
    I also feel career progression is poor - many at the restaurant I worked at had worked there for years and despite pushing, were getting nowhere with progression.

Advice to Management

Stop changing the brand standards and the menus so often, or if you do, provide REAL training on these changes. Work on having slower turnover of management at each site, it's confusing for the team. Have a better talent spotting system for those wanting to progress into a career with the company.

"The worst company I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Waiter
    Current Employee - Waiter

I have been working at Whitbread full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

well, really difficult to find any. only one thing may be positive if your work as waiter/waitress - tips, otherwise well underpaid job for work you doing.

Cons

staff meals/drinks - paid, unpaid breaks (it doesnt matter if you take one or not, till system will clock you out autoamticlly after 6 hours, for UNPAID 30 min) , loads of responsibilities (upselling, upsizing, cleaning, advertising, brand standard) for min wage, company doesnt care about their own workers, any good ideas how to improve your working place are ignored, the worst company i ve ever worked for!! No loyality to company, staff demotivated, no benefits to be a part of whitbread whatsoever,

Advice to Management

put more focus on yours staff not on the figuers - we are human not robots, appraciate our hard work,