Whitbread - Leave your family, your kids and friends | Glassdoor

"Leave your family, your kids and friends"

Former Employee - General Manager in London, England

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Best company for some years, worst company currently

Cons

Senior management forces you to work every Friday, Saturday and Sunday no matter what. I have lost my family after spending 6 months without having a family day. My wife works during the week, my 2 children 1 year old and 8 year old are in school or nursery and I wasnt able to be with them. My contract was 48h per week no specification about specific hours or days. I have worked weeks with over 70h because I had to... work those days plus I have to work on my days off. When challenged, senior management simply tells you it's the job, get over with.

Advice to Management

You like to spend time with your family, you pay General Managers to run your business, let them run your business. We have a family too and we are there to do a job. Challenge the ones who are not performing instead of judging all the same. No wonder a lot of good people are leaving. I've got now my family back, working in the same industry and delivering great results. Dont expect people to look after you if you... dont look after them.

Whitbread2019-09-18
  1. "Great for some"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Uxbridge, MA

I have been working at Whitbread full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good elementary development, encouraging staff and motivational individuals, good company benefits and range of roles and skills to be trained in

Cons

often shift work, inflexible working and holiday entitlement, low pay, from one extreme to the next between being underemployed and overly worked for the salary paid.

Advice to Management

show the employees you care by fighting for them in plain sight, maintain transparency and continue to show care they way you have been

Whitbread2016-03-25
  2. "Great company for investing in its people"

Former Employee - Regional Manager

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great training and opportunities for progression

Cons

None to speak of at this company

Whitbread2019-11-06

Discover more reviews about Whitbread.