Whole Foods Market - A company steadily declining in quality | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Whole Foods Market

"A company steadily declining in quality"

Current Employee - Buyer/Specialist in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Buyer/Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Whole Foods Market part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company offers options for transfers all across the county. Your results may vary; it took me a year to get one, but the opportunity in this industry to do that at all is great. PTO plan is nice and rewards time with the company via increasing PTO contributions. It's a good contingency plan for leaving the company (a pay out in full, less taxes.)

Cons

I joined the company in 2008. Since then they have opened dozens of new stores and posted all-times sales records dozens of times in the two stores I've worked at. All the while labor was cut, employee benefit premiums have doubled, and our old policy of hiring Full-Time team members (with the valid reasoning that they make more devoted, happy employees) whenever possible has turned into NEVER hire FT; let em suffer for it. In transferring regionally in a move, I've lost my FT status (benefits, voice, respect(?) ) and have worked FT hours since the week I got here. Shady.
I feel like the pressure applied to management over the last few years with lofty and unreasonable sales goals attached to lower labor budgets and new leadership agendas that work to lessen the role their team plays has severely hurt the quality of leadership within the company, on the team level and above.

Advice to Management

I have no idea what you could do. I see it as the size and position of the company that's hurting it so much. The agendas and goals coming down from regional and corporate offices seem incredibly destructive to the culture WFM has spent 32 years creating. You're losing your support and belief in the company from the bottom up. I see a lot of disgust and resentment on your floors recently.

Other Employee Reviews for Whole Foods Market

1. "Over all pleasant, but too tree hugging."

Former Employee - Receiver in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Receiver in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits. Though upon my leaving benefits where being redacted to lesser levels. Over all attitude of most employees is pleasant though could also be cloy-ish. But this allowed the atmosphere of work to be decent enough depending on your position and work load, because reasonably understood not all is equal.

Cons

Too "you need to care about organic food and the environment". Some attitude is that of organic is superior and with out fault. Many of the customers were the worst self-entitled minded people I have ever met.

Advice to Management

Bring back some of the old benefits that were removed.

2. "A booming company that sees a lot of promise"

Current Employee - Front End Team Member in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Front End Team Member in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Whole Foods Market part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly customer, amazing managers. great fellow coworkers

Cons

none, keep up the good work

Advice to Management

I think in a customer service environment you really want employees who treat the customers very well.