Whole Foods Market - Good pay, horrible medical, and worst working experience ever. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Whole Foods Market

"Good pay, horrible medical, and worst working experience ever."

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant Team Leader in West Hartford, CT
Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant Team Leader in West Hartford, CT

Pros

The hourly pay for asst team leaders and team leaders, is much higher than most retail jobs in the area. The dress code, is great, very little wasn't allowed. The discount was nice when it came to buying your weekly groceries.

Cons

It seems like every day was exactly the same. I worked awful hours, it seemed like I never had time to spend with my family or friends. When you work 12-8:30 everyday, you have no time for yourself. They trained you to do the job for the first month, then just expect you to read minds there after. The medical benefits are awful. Yes, after 800 service hours the company pays for it- but you have a $1300 delectable, and no co pay- and pay a lot out of pocket. You could request time off for a vacation or like me your honeymoon, and not get it- because something came up or staffing was too short. There is no communication between manager that are actually on the floor and the managers who sit in their offices. If someone is very sick and at work because they don't want to miss the time, they send them home and count them as absent, the same goes for being in the hospital.

I have heard that some stores are great to work for, but in my experience at my old store it was nothing less then a nightmare. I truly liked 95% of the people I worked with and it killed me to hear upper management always trash people then be nice to their face.

Also, the company claims to be all about the environment, and the care of animals- but they only tell the press and customers what they want them to hear. For example, whole foods has vegetarian feed, cage free eggs- and tell customers that the chickens are able to run freely on farms, when in fact they are confided to a barn. Hundreds of them. Not really too far for the chickens- or the customers.

Advice to Management

Take the blinders off, stop always agreeing with certain managers and not others. Take the time to get to know the team members instead of just hear say. People are very cut throat to make more money and are willing to stab people in the back, and say whatever to get there. So stop listening to the rumors yourself, and get on the sales floor and see for yourself.

Also, if you are all about how John Mackey does things, why don't store manager actually do it instead of just talking about it. Lead by example, you can't hold some team members accountable but not others. That isn't how John Mackey would want things.

Other Employee Reviews for Whole Foods Market

"WFM Administration"

Former Employee - Administration
    Former Employee - Administration

Pros

Whole Foods Market has a decent benefits package compared to other companies in the industry. The employee discount is 20% off any item in the store, including vitamins. Fellow Team Members are, by far, the best reason to work at Whole Foods. The experience you have as a Team Member depends on the store and, at times, the region in which that store resides. In a location that is well funded & efficiently managed (on every level) the positives outweigh the negatives. Team Members (on every level) enjoy their jobs, are eager & dedicated. They hold themselves accountable and instill that discipline in others. Expectations are made clear, communication is considered paramount and transparency is welcomed. Training and developing Team Members is viewed as an important investment rather than a waste of time. In well operated stores, short term considerations never trump long term potential. However, in poorly operated stores the negatives far outweigh the positives.

Cons

I worked in a small store in Pennsylvania. The store was just one of many in the Mid Atlantic region (aka- the region that makes or breaks the company). It once reflected, in part, that of a store described above. Not one of the core values was seen to hold more or less value than any other (the core values are the set of principles the company is based on). Then the economy took a nosedive. WFM, as a company, did not see this coming AT ALL. They spent money recklessly, often on lavish affairs for employees and stockholders. They continued to buy out any company they considered competition, bending the rules in the process (see: John Mackey, FTC, Wild Oats, Ethics Problems). When the unexpected downturn hit home they, to the sadness of many, acted in way that was more indicative of the ruthless corporate businesses who's practices help lead to this recession in the first place. They continue to act this way-at least in the store I worked in. Minimizing losses and improving short term results is the name of the game. Forget the core values, forget the moral standards we tout, forget the long term future of the company.....improving the return on capital is all they want to do. Even if it means, as history has taught, that in doing so the company, post recession, will grow less quickly than competitors who were more free-spending in the area of company growth (see: Kellogg's, Post, Frank Knight). If you want to know if a company or a store is a good place to work you only need to know one thing: What is their turnover rate? It was terribly sad to see the store I work in go in the direction it did. The atmosphere now scarcely reflects the fun, creative environment it did three years ago.

Also an FYI: WFM's 365 products mostly come from China. They say they support local-check again. The 5% days are always held on Thursdays- least productive day in sales. They are hiring less FT employees, more PT- insurance is costly. They are ruthless with UC benefits and have policies in place that ensure a reason for just about anyone to get fired. They loathe anything to do with Unions- meetings are held, "town halls," videos, heavily biased speeches are given. All the prices on the center aisles of the store (dry goods-can goods etc.) have been raised recently.

Advice to Management

Team Members give so much of their time, energy and resources into a company who's principles they believe it, INVEST BACK.

Also: It should come as no surprise that when incompetent people are hired and, even worse, put into a position of authority, with little or no feedback & oversight the result is a poorly run, inefficiently managed & ill productive hell hole.

"Team leaders are not qualifies"

Current Employee - Produce Team in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Produce Team in Columbus, OH

Pros

Good benefits despite poor medical coverage.

Cons

Some of the rudest team leaders I have ever worked with. Most of them seemed under-qualified and unable to listen to reason. Extreme favoritism shown to some employees without merit. Scheduling was terrible and unfair. I lost a second job because they were unwilling to work with my schedule, even though i informed them before I took the second job and was told it would be no problem.

Advice to Management

Ever hear of human resources? Or discretion for that matter. Promotion should not be based on how attracted you are to an employee or the size of their breasts. Do not blow off a team member that has a problem.