Whole Foods Market - Great company | Glassdoor

"Great company"

Former Employee - Team Member in Plano, TX
Former Employee - Team Member in Plano, TX

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money is the key to this place

Cons

Dumb customers is the way people are here

Other Employee Reviews for Whole Foods Market

"Had high hopes...at first"

Current Employee - Specialist in Sebastopol, CA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Sebastopol, CA

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits that work on a tier level based on hours you have put in w/the company. Get a decent employee discount, sometimes free product/food; the pay is better than Safeway. You get to meet a lot of people from all walks of life. When I first started there was a great morale, a lot of room for advancement, had a person on site to help you obtain training needed to gain the experience knowledge to move up in the company. I also got to work under to great STLs that really listened to TM & participated in the TM's growth in the company & didn't sit at their desk through their shifts. They encourage the TMs to participate in volunteering in the community & do have a lot of programs that help local communities along w/other countries.

Cons

It took forever to get my interview then it took them over 3 months to actually put me on the schedule. We worked with no TL or ASTL for almost a month, didn't get much hands on training w/a true trainer just a Specialist who was full of himself & didn't follow proper protocol because he didn't agree w/it. The 3rd ASTL I work under is horrible. Never comes down to the floor unless it is to point out stuff he didn't like or to pull someone into the office to tear them a new a-hole & doesn't even bother to truly investigate the situation before jumping to conclusions, he doesn't support TM's growth even when we come to him. He doesn't take the time to get to know the TMs. WFM got rid of the onsite educators & replace w/a district educator who we very seldom see & just tells us all the stuff we learned is obsolete & we have to take all the courses over. Leadership also rewards/promote those who BS & kiss ass the best & not those who truly have the experience/knowledge & are good workers. I witnessed a lot of people who were being primed to move up w/the previous STL just to be told from the current STL how the other person had more experience & gave weak ridiculous excuses. TL making empty promises just to keep a hard working TM doing whatever is asked of them & then turn around & say that the TM was lacking in some shape or form. Then when a TM vocalizes that they are not happy & that the core value of TM happiness is no longer on the Leaderships agenda then that TM is labeled as a trouble maker & the Leadership just says what hopefully shut that TM up & go away or make more empty promises & no follow through. Also, when they want to get rid of a TM they start writing them up for BS reason based on work performance because that's the easiest route to either fire them or push them out. That's why there are some many previous & even current TM suing the company for different levels of harassment. Several times TM Services has received complaints about these issues including unruly TM & the STL & there is never follow through & they retain their jobs. I don't know about the other stores in my region but my store no longer works w/TM schedules even when there are family needs. They will give you a different schedule every week, be late w/posting the schedules & be prepared to work 6 days straight & do a lot of clopens (close & turn around the next day to open) which means sometimes only getting 4-5 hrs of sleep. For you to move up in the company anymore you truly need to become an expert in BS, ass kissing & be willing to never see your family or have a social life. John Mackey (although he & the other founders created a great idea) we get the brunt of people's back lash for all of his "mistakes" & poor Rob is constantly having to do damage control. Then add the rude customers who treat you like you don't know anything & then leadership doesn't address it eventually takes a toll on the TMs' morale also. Hope you never get a complaint about you because the first time you do it won't matter you never had one w/the 7 yrs you worked for the company plus have nothing but positive reviews from the secret shoppers, they will tell you how you were wrong period even if it was the customer doing all the yelling & the one truly being rude.

Advice to Management

Talk is cheap. Start truly listening to TM's concerns & issues. So instead of trying to find out who wrote the negative feedback that was calling everyone out focus on the true issue that why did this person feel the need to do it & to investigate the claims & actually do follow through. You claim TM happiness is the most important thing to ensure all other core values are accomplish but your actions tell us the opposite. Also, start leading by example & not throw temper tantrums, yell at TMs in front of other TMs, get out from the front of the computer screen & make a positive presence on the sales floor & truly support TM's growth. This also goes for our shifty who was all gun ho when he first started but now is always in the back office on the computer. Remember One Team One Store!

"Work with Purpose"

Current Employee - Senior Team LEader in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Team LEader in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a long time chef, working for WFM has given me the opportunity to work with purpose. I positively help our guests, vendors, shareholders, and communities every day.

Cons

It isnt a con, but it is work. Too many applicants think its rainbows and unicorns but its work and often tough. The rewards are great for those willing to work hard.