Whole Foods Market - No company is a utopia | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Whole Foods Market

"No company is a utopia"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time

Pros

Was a really fun company. Every quarter, we celebrated birthdays and work anniversaries. We had an annual team member appreciation week where one of my favorite things was that you could sign up for free chair massages. The dress code was super-casual (shorts and flip-flops). Some of the long-timers kept up with the tradition of verbally expressing appreciations to other team members when appropriate (e.g., during meetings). A bonus of working at the corporate office is that you work above the flagship WFM store in Austin. I felt like we really walked the talk when it came to being environmentally-friendly. It was by far the most recycling-conscious office I've ever worked in; we had compost bins, too. I had work-life balance for the first time in my career (but not everyone did). My annual raises were better than I expected, especially since it was clear from the beginning that my salary was not going to be the most competitive, given the thin margins in the retail industry. Work hours were flexible; managers didn't seem to be clock-watchers. Medical insurance was inexpensive. Job candidates were interviewed by a panel; I was glad to have input when we were hiring for my new team lead.

Cons

There were no paid holidays, even for salaried employees; if I didn't work on Christmas Day, I didn't get paid unless I deducted time from my bank of PTO (paid time off) hours. The amount of PTO that you get doesn't make up for the no paid holidays policy. The 401k match is negligible. The policies and processes weren't always in place for a company of that size; because of the company's rapid growth, in some ways it still acts like a smaller company but in a large company's body.

Other Employee Reviews for Whole Foods Market

1. "great company and values"

Current Employee - Team Member in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Whole Foods Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gainsharing is amazing
    WFM really treats their employees well- you feel appreciated
    ability to move up
    great employee discount and you have the opportunity to raise your discount if you maintain a healthy lifestyle
    great opportunities to volunteer all over the world

Cons

leadership has a tendency to micromanage and it can be stressful
    leadership tends plays favorites

"Fun energetic place to work"

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Plantation, FL
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Plantation, FL

I worked at Whole Foods Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and room to grow in the company. Love the discount card!

Cons

Promoting some of the campaigns at the cash register. The discrepancies with the tares on containers.

Advice to Management

Give team members the benefit of the doubt.