Wickes - A fantastic place to work, but expect to work hard! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Wickes

"A fantastic place to work, but expect to work hard!"

Pros

Wickes really is a fantastic place to work as the people are great and the business has a brilliant culture – we do the right things for the right reasons, and we are really passionate about it. I feel I have been supported to build a career and I enjoy making a difference every day. I feel lucky to be working somewhere where its easy to say “I love my job”. Not many people can say that

Cons

People are generally very proud to work for Wickes and because of that they are willing to put in a bit extra. No one makes you do it - you do it because you care about the business and want to do a good job. The downside is it can be long hours and I can't remember the last time that I wasn't incredibly busy!

Advice to Management

The great thing about Wickes is the culture. You are treated as an adult and the leadership team go out of their way to make sure everyone has a voice. There's no ego - all of the Directors wear red polo shirts just like the guys in stores and they are as interested in the opinion of a part-time customer service advisor as they are a senior manager. Keep it up - it's what makes it a great place to work.

Other Employee Reviews for Wickes

1. "Lots of work, not a lot of recognition"

Former Employee - Cashier in Bridgend, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Bridgend, Wales (UK)

Pros

The work is relatively easy, as far as retail jobs go, and it is a job that you can forget once you get home. There are many opportunities for overtime, and a good team spirit between the lower members of the staff.

Cons

Certain managers being so demeaning and patronising that many staff felt that they wanted to leave. High expectations of worker knowledge of products, even whilst being new to the job. Often mistakes with pay, and not paying for overtime. Many managers made staff work through breaks, and there is a small poorly equipt staff room.

Advice to Management

Be less patronising. Remember how hard the work can be for the staff that work a ten hour shift without sitting down at all. Appreciate staff more, as individuals that have a lot to offer the company. Take into account staff feedback on managers, and removing managers that are detrimental to staff, and ultimately, the company.

2. "Good part time work place for a student."

Current Employee - Cashier in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Cashier in London, England (UK)

Pros

Lots of hours provided during summer holidays, easter break.
    Good uniform provides safety for employees.
    Flexible positions.
    Increase of pay by completing Master Programme (DIY exams)
    20% discount for employees at Wickes and other stores including Travis Perkins.

Cons

Depends on the branch.
    Majority are good and fun to work. But some are very boring as not many customers.

Advice to Management

Try and target each individual employee and find out how they are feeling. Dont put most the pressure on supervisors, most managers put way too much pressure on vulnerable supervisors.