Wiley - Ups and Downs | Glassdoor

"Ups and Downs"

Former Employee - Associate Editor in Hoboken, NJ
Former Employee - Associate Editor in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Wiley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Individually, the people I worked with were great.

Cons

Some of the top managers were a bit full of themselves; they weren't open to new ideas, especially from "underlings."

Advice to Management

Become more democratic.

Other Employee Reviews for Wiley

"Old company constantly strives to make permanent footprints on the ever-changing world of publishing."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Wiley part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The ability to work at your own pace on most days has been a plus for me. Convenient access to numerous types of internal training has also been a big help during our restructuring process. Wiley also tries to make sure its employees can achieve a good work/life balance and in the short time I've been here, they seem to succeed by offering paid vacation time, early release on days before federal holidays, and good insurance and retirement plans for full-time workers.

Cons

Recent restructuring has led to some confusion among employees while learning new processes, and lack of access to upper management has often occurred because they are quite busy learning new processes themselves. However, 2014 is trending up and we are continuing to adjust to changing schedules and task lists as more time goes on.

"Lukewarm experience"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Malden, MA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Malden, MA

I worked at Wiley as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

All the managers I worked with were very nice.

My manager was very understanding about my few sick days.

There are some truly cool, kind people working there...Unfortunately none of them were in my department!

Responsive and cool IT department.

They didn't mind that I worked with headphones in.

Cons

Abysmal pay.

I temped with Wiley for about six months, but was overlooked when my position became permanent and someone else was hired.

Clique-ish environment, I was definitely treated like a temp by most people, and I got a very weird drinking-the-Kool-Aid corporate culture vibe from a lot of people. In a meeting once, senior management and some salespeople were laughing at the fact that people wouldn't want their privacy invaded by aggressive salespeople.

Lots of ridiculous useless meetings where my presence was genuinely not required.

Not a great location; I was living in Cambridge at the time and the orange line commute took almost an hour.

This didn't directly effect me since I wasn't a permanent employee, but this still bothered me: They'll pay 100% of people's parking per month (For the adjacent parking garage), but only a small portion of people's subway passes. Parking passes are WAY more expensive than subway passes, so this seemed odd to me.

Their database and sales entry systems are INCREDIBLY bad. Their systems are so clogged up with duplicates and goofy requirements that it was very frustrating to do almost anything.

Advice to Management

Pay your temps a little more generously, please. Even an extra dollar an hour can make a big difference. Fewer meetings, and really think about who needs to be there.