Wiley - 200 year old conservatively run company willing to invest in the future, just needs more vision | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Wiley

"200 year old conservatively run company willing to invest in the future, just needs more vision"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hoboken, NJ
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hoboken, NJ

Pros

A great company that is trying to bring it's business into the 21st century, a tough prospect for all publishers. However, it is well diversified and is willing to invest in itself or through acquisition to make it happen. A secure environment with good benefits and that invests in its employees.

Cons

A 200 year old company that has reached maturity, not sure where growth will come from. A little frustrating to work with people that have been there 30 years and see no different approaches. A challenge to get things changed.

Advice to Management

Communicate a vision for Wiley 5/10 years from now.

Other Employee Reviews for Wiley

"Great blend of respect for people and financial performance."

Former Employee - Vice President Marketing in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Vice President Marketing in Hoboken, NJ

Pros

Wiley does the important things right. They take care of their people, their authors, their partners, and their customers. They also make smart, targeted and strategic investments. Very little energy of effort is wasted.

Cons

Wiley is a mature media company in a lot of ways. They will always have trouble competing initially with smaller, more entrepreneurial companies. But they have demonstrated that they can catch up and be successful in changing markets like journal publishing, trade publishing and textbooks.

Advice to Management

Tell your story better. There is no reason Wiley's performance in persevering through 3 very different disrupted markets shouldn't be a feel good business story in the media. The financial performance alone will get attention but the business transformation work is very cool and should be better known.

2. "Great people, bad place to temp"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malden, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malden, MA

Pros

I learned an absolutely ridiculous amount at Wiley-Blackwell. The skills I developed (and could put on my resume) were above and beyond what I expected from the job. Also, the people who work there are FANTASTIC. Friendly, competent, flexible, considerate, and completely willing to taking into account your personal life. Socially, it was a GREAT atmosphere.

Cons

Don't temp for them. I was hired as a temp, and ended up working there for a year. Every month or so management would ask me to stay on a little longer, but then make some excuse as to why they couldn't hire me permanently... despite other departments hiring temps permanently. It didn't allow me to make plans, not knowing how long I'd be employed, and eventually I quit to find something better.

Advice to Management

As to your temps: Fish or cut bait. Please. Also, consider consolidating your data storage and website systems, because it's rather messy.