William & Mary - Ok | Glassdoor

"Ok"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Williamsburg, VA
Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Williamsburg, VA

Pros

Good hours, flexible hours, easy work.

Cons

Management was not that great.

Other Employee Reviews for William & Mary

1. "TA: Responsibilities include laboratory or lecture assistant for introductory or upper-level courses in the sciences."

Former Employee - Teaching/Research Assistant in Williamsburg, VA
    Former Employee - Teaching/Research Assistant in Williamsburg, VA

Pros

* Instruct mid and upper-level courses to some of the brightest undergraduate students in the nation.

* Course modules are dynamic and flexible, and often incorporate research findings from the frontiers of science.

* Graduate research opportunities are almost always completely funded

Cons

* Small research university
    * Moderate to low funding for research labs

Advice to Management

Increased funding and professional development opporunities for graduate research program students.

"Student Affairs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsburg, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsburg, VA

Pros

As a whole, the Division staff are enthusiastic, dedicated, extremely hard working. Collegial across departments. Leadership works hard to keep all of us abreast of what is going on throughout the division. Great winter break party this year. The College gives us all the State holidays that we have to work during the year back to us during Winter Break, which gives us around 10 days off between semesters; very nice. Great medical benefits; so-so dental benefits. Generous vacation allowance, although I'm not sure that that is distributed evenly across all staff.

Cons

The State regularly suspends pay raises for 2-3 years at a time in times of financial stress. It is unclear why a pay raise is awarded when it does occur. The State of Virginia makes permanent cuts in W&M budget every year or two, with systemic repercussions: Limited opportunities for advancement. Professional development happens unevenly across the departments. Work/Life balance is not valued, subtly discouraged, as we all try to do more and more with less and less.

Advice to Management

Foster a sense of balance and reason in the work we do. I once took a British career assessment which advised me that I'm too prone to work too hard on projects and put in a lot of overtime. From the British perspective, this would be a red flag for an employer, as I'm the kind of employee who will burn out, therefore making me an undesirable candidate. Here at W&M, I feel like it's the minimum expectation.