Williams-Sonoma - Not people first | Glassdoor

"Not people first"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

Great concept! Your personal experiences and passion that started our company. Thank you Chuck Williams!

Cons

Losing the idea of what the company was based on. Making people feel at home. Expectation to act like a robot embarrassingly asking guests over and over to open credit card and email. Makes customers uncomfortable. Places pressure on employees to meet unrealistic goals and unmotivating.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on getting product to the store to meet supply and demand. Stores are constantly out of merchandise and never have the product they are featuring in the catalog, or for cooking classes. Need to have more variety of product. eg. Not just one brand of a food processor.

Other Employee Reviews for Williams-Sonoma

1. "i have been treated very well and had wonderful opportunities for growth."

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

Pros

Work life balance, i am a working mom with a child. Upper management was very supportive of me starting a family and worked with me to balance my job and my family. People first enviorment, i have high level talent that surronds me in all areas. I am so lucky as i have a great DM and RVP that teach and develop me personally and professionally.

Cons

Home furnishings is a unique sector and it took a while to understand this business. However, i now feel it is a great challenge to drive and understand this business.

Advice to Management

We love when you visit and listen to our feedback and feel we can make a difference. Thank you for creating this type of enviornment. We love the that we can now email and have clienteling on line. This helps us give the great service we love to deliver to our customers!

"Leaning towards needless bureacracy"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

Great discount, fun associates, very educational for new cooks

Cons

Adding on so much paperwork really boggs down management
    Micromanaging from corporate
    Turning from a "people first" company to a "money for corporate!!!" company
    Didn't give raises for three years, this was before the recession
    Some corporate shenanigans, Howard Lester (old president) used to rent his own private jet to WS instead of buying their own.
    Customers can be clueless, entitled and quick to anger

Advice to Management

Back off.
    How can the staff focus in the customer if you keep asking for so many tasks? Pick one or the other or make it a happy balance.