Williams-Sonoma - Great place to work.... but not to go very far up the corporate ladder. | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma

"Great place to work.... but not to go very far up the corporate ladder."

Former Employee - Furniture Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
Former Employee - Furniture Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

The best reasons to work for WS is the discount and friends made at work. I loved all the great people I worked with. The discount was great, I have a house full of stuff from all the brands. My whole kitchen is from WS. Now I am so spoiled I will accept nothing less than top quality household goods. Upper management did listen to us when we were having issues with customers. We did have a people first attitude. My customers were treated very well, I always went above and beyond to make them happy..

Cons

Even with a college degree could not move up as far as i wanted

Advice to Management

Treat everyone like humans....understand that working with some customers can be very stressful

Other Employee Reviews for Williams-Sonoma

"Used to be Great"

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

Pros

The employee discount is excellent by industry standard (usually 40% at all brands, 20% for sale and select electronics). In the past there has been an aggressive internal promotion rate. Overall, excellent, motivated and intelligent coworkers in the field, at call centers, and corporate partners. Good team atmosphere. Decent and mostly well-made products, and a focus on sustainability and FSC certified wood and eco friendly merchandise. Prior to 2008, associates were empowered to make decision that were in the best interest of customer service. With a few very notable exceptions, solid leadership at the DM, RVP and VP level. Human Resources was always responsive until the talented and tenured associates in that department left in 2007-2008. Good heritage in the story of Chuck Williams.

Cons

Work/life balance is nonexistent in field management--they own you. Systems are archaic. Inventory allocations are a disaster. Company expectations in terms of payroll, workload and standards became increasingly unrealistic, and the work load for casual associates is distressing compared to their compensation. Compensation is not based on any particular matrix at any level and appears to be random. High value is put on impressing executive leadership instead of on the needs of internal and external customers, and to this end, a lot of money is wasted or improperly allocated. Senior executives have been repeatedly disrespectful during visits and conferences, and have demonstrated that they lack knowledge of basic systems and operations. It is obvious that creative teams are stifled by the thoughts of execs, even if they do not have expertise in this area, and the product line has been lackluster for many years now. Productive feedback given from the field is often ignored. In the past two years, the company has gotten away from its people first culture.

Advice to Management

Pay is exceptionally low for most workers, while senior leadership continues to get raises and bonuses, despite layoffs and economic downturn. Expectations are unrealistic--ask for candid feedback and implement the suggestions you are given before it is too late. It has been disappointing to watch the downfall of this once great company.

2. "The discount is the best reason to work here"

Current Employee - Intentionly Left Blank in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Intentionly Left Blank in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

the discount is the best reason. you can see all the new items and get lots of sale items. The benifits are pretty good for the amount i make, since i am single. My coworkers do make it fun to work there, but only 3 of us are left from when i started. most mangers are good at their jobs and seem to care about us and the customers.

Cons

Now since not very many employees left, can't take time off. Some of the new customer policys are strict, and they aren't used to it so they are not very happpy and take it out on us.

Advice to Management

i would apporve of lowering the employee discount or taking more VTO to keep my job.