Williams-Sonoma - Rapidly deteriorating | Glassdoor

"Rapidly deteriorating"

Former Employee - Control Buyer in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Control Buyer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent product and commitment to customer satisfaction.

Cons

Management merciless in trying to squeeze every last ounce of contribution from employees. The positive recognition that existed for the first 4 years of my tenure there was non-existent by the time I left. Work days were habitually 10 - 12 hours, even off season. The systems and reports that were in place were completely inadequate for the business model that the catalog began to use. Finally there was no recognition of the fact that the workload increased over 250% while I was employed there, but the headcount actually shrank by 15%: between my hiring and my leaving each of us was doing nearly three times the workload, with no additional compensation. There was no attempt by anyone above middle management to look at working conditions and no choice for middle management to make any change due to pressures from above to increase productivity.

Other Employee Reviews for Williams-Sonoma

1. "Fun for awhile"

Pros

Lots of fun working with fellow associates. Strong culture with lots of emphasis on Chuck Williams. Go the extra mile for customers to set them apart from their competitors.

Cons

Not enough ongoing training and development. Lots of changes in last several years as a result of new leaders and economic down turn in the country.

Advice to Management

Go back to what made you great and stop chasing the dollar.

"Great at first until management stops caring about their own employees."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great discount, most of the people that work there are great and easy to get along with, flexible schedule (most of the time)

Cons

Management is never on the sales floor! Short-staffed and associates are abused and overworked because the management is too cheap to hire more associates to be on the sales floor. All the company cares about now is getting customers to sign up for the Williams-Sonoma credit card.

Advice to Management

Hire more associates to work! Stop nagging about the credit card, actually MANAGE the store and not find any excuse to be in the back office away from customers.