Williams-Sonoma - Company is great, local management not-so-much. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma

"Company is great, local management not-so-much."

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company itself is fun to work for - to talk about cooking & food every day was great. To help the customers find the right cooking solutions was a lot of fun too. The company often had contests so that stores, no matter what size, had the potential to win prizes for the employees. The discount there is also great. The people I worked with (for the most part) were great and since then I keep in contact with them. Also depending on the store you work in, you can have some really great mangers who make you excited to come into work each day.

Cons

The store manager is lazy. He sits in the backroom and listens to his podcasts and pretends to have a M-F 9-5 job like his friends do, which is far from the reality. The DM is blinded to this and it was extremely frustrating to work for a manager who didn't work hard (or at all). The hours sometimes can be tough, especially if you have a family. The customers, depending on where the store is located, can be ridiculous - their level of entitlement is mind-blowing - they want you do wait on them NOW even though you're already helping someone else and "Why can't you wrap this giant porcelain platter in less than 10 min? I need to leave for my nail appointment." The visa card & email programs - stop forcing your employees to do that - many customers get really upset for being asked about this stuff!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the store manager and put someone who really cares about the business not just earning a paycheck. Also have a serious sit down with the DM for letting the store get so bad. Also, stop forcing

Other Employee Reviews for Williams-Sonoma

"Each location is as good as the local management"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great local management and DM

Cons

Stop with the inquisition already.

Who helped you?, Will you be paying with your W-S visa, what's your zip code?, What's your email?
    Nowhere near the company it was when I started. The mission has changed, it's more about reports than the customer.

Advice to Management

Let the stores get back to offering excellent customer service and stop with the questions. Excellent service will sell the product, not all the ?'s to fill numbers in the computer. Established customers are tired of the 20 questions and voice their opinion as such.

"Not so people first anymore"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the job I do, but not who I work for.

Cons

Comapny has changed drastically over the past few years. Good is never good enough. Great isn't even great enough. They ask for associate opinions, but do nothing about them. Don't even share results. Open on Easter Sunday? Even customers thought that was insane. Now to be open on Thanksgiving day? What's next--Christmas? Open 24/7? Come on. This company used to say they were all about their people. They are not who they say they are.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your managers stated in the associate opinion survey. You will lose tenured, respected, talented managers if you continue to want more and more and more. What holiday will you be working? None. You will be with your family and friends, cooking and relaxing--checking your phone for the 12 o'clock read. Howard is probably rolling over in his grave as to what has become of his beloved company. Get back to the basics. People. Service. Standards. Cut out all the excess things that you are making us do. Get back to quality products and happy staffs.