Williams-Sonoma - Each location is as good as the local management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma

"Each location is as good as the local management"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great local management and DM

Cons

Stop with the inquisition already.

Who helped you?, Will you be paying with your W-S visa, what's your zip code?, What's your email?
Nowhere near the company it was when I started. The mission has changed, it's more about reports than the customer.

Advice to Management

Let the stores get back to offering excellent customer service and stop with the questions. Excellent service will sell the product, not all the ?'s to fill numbers in the computer. Established customers are tired of the 20 questions and voice their opinion as such.

Other Employee Reviews for Williams-Sonoma

"Not so people first anymore"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the job I do, but not who I work for.

Cons

Comapny has changed drastically over the past few years. Good is never good enough. Great isn't even great enough. They ask for associate opinions, but do nothing about them. Don't even share results. Open on Easter Sunday? Even customers thought that was insane. Now to be open on Thanksgiving day? What's next--Christmas? Open 24/7? Come on. This company used to say they were all about their people. They are not who they say they are.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your managers stated in the associate opinion survey. You will lose tenured, respected, talented managers if you continue to want more and more and more. What holiday will you be working? None. You will be with your family and friends, cooking and relaxing--checking your phone for the 12 o'clock read. Howard is probably rolling over in his grave as to what has become of his beloved company. Get back to the basics. People. Service. Standards. Cut out all the excess things that you are making us do. Get back to quality products and happy staffs.

"Rapidly deteriorating"

Former Employee - Control Buyer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Control Buyer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent product and commitment to customer satisfaction.

Cons

Management merciless in trying to squeeze every last ounce of contribution from employees. The positive recognition that existed for the first 4 years of my tenure there was non-existent by the time I left. Work days were habitually 10 - 12 hours, even off season. The systems and reports that were in place were completely inadequate for the business model that the catalog began to use. Finally there was no recognition of the fact that the workload increased over 250% while I was employed there, but the headcount actually shrank by 15%: between my hiring and my leaving each of us was doing nearly three times the workload, with no additional compensation. There was no attempt by anyone above middle management to look at working conditions and no choice for middle management to make any change due to pressures from above to increase productivity.