Williams-Sonoma - Not so people first anymore | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma

"Not so people first anymore"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the job I do, but not who I work for.

Cons

Comapny has changed drastically over the past few years. Good is never good enough. Great isn't even great enough. They ask for associate opinions, but do nothing about them. Don't even share results. Open on Easter Sunday? Even customers thought that was insane. Now to be open on Thanksgiving day? What's next--Christmas? Open 24/7? Come on. This company used to say they were all about their people. They are not who they say they are.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your managers stated in the associate opinion survey. You will lose tenured, respected, talented managers if you continue to want more and more and more. What holiday will you be working? None. You will be with your family and friends, cooking and relaxing--checking your phone for the 12 o'clock read. Howard is probably rolling over in his grave as to what has become of his beloved company. Get back to the basics. People. Service. Standards. Cut out all the excess things that you are making us do. Get back to quality products and happy staffs.

Other Employee Reviews for Williams-Sonoma

"Rapidly deteriorating"

Former Employee - Control Buyer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Control Buyer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent product and commitment to customer satisfaction.

Cons

Management merciless in trying to squeeze every last ounce of contribution from employees. The positive recognition that existed for the first 4 years of my tenure there was non-existent by the time I left. Work days were habitually 10 - 12 hours, even off season. The systems and reports that were in place were completely inadequate for the business model that the catalog began to use. Finally there was no recognition of the fact that the workload increased over 250% while I was employed there, but the headcount actually shrank by 15%: between my hiring and my leaving each of us was doing nearly three times the workload, with no additional compensation. There was no attempt by anyone above middle management to look at working conditions and no choice for middle management to make any change due to pressures from above to increase productivity.

2. "Fun for awhile"

Pros

Lots of fun working with fellow associates. Strong culture with lots of emphasis on Chuck Williams. Go the extra mile for customers to set them apart from their competitors.

Cons

Not enough ongoing training and development. Lots of changes in last several years as a result of new leaders and economic down turn in the country.

Advice to Management

Go back to what made you great and stop chasing the dollar.