Williams-Sonoma - Serious support | Glassdoor

"Serious support"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Williams-Sonoma is serious about customer care and supporting their staff. Questions are addressed and answered. Customers and quality of product are the two most important factors driving their business.

Cons

The computer system makes it difficult to follow up with clients and takes to much time to enter in client information. Because of this follow up is almost impossible.

Advice to Management

You care about the quality of your product line, because you understand that quality matters. However, when it comes to your POS and computer system, it becomes difficult to maintain that quality of service with substandard programs and equipment.

Other Employee Reviews for Williams-Sonoma

"Love my store, perplexed by recent decisions of upper management"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The associates and managers at my store get along very well, we have fun while doing our jobs and we do them well. There is a genuine concern for the customer and a passion for the products amongst the staff. It's almost like a second family.

Cons

Even in the short time (2 years) I've been with the company things have become much worse.

Upper management slashes payroll constantly no matter what the business trends are for that week and we end up with 3 people running the store on a given day. The lack of attention to the customer does not bode well with the clientelle but theres no way we can service the customer AND accomplish all the menial tasks and paperwork while getting paid a practically insulting wage.

The company treats its associates like they're stupid by exerting an opressive amount of corporate control-- telling us even how to answer the phone in a cheesy insencere way.

The store management is drown in meaningless paperwork and constant useless conference calls so much that they can't ever be there on the floor to manage.

Our point-of-sale system and computer systems are so disjointed and antiquated they make our jobs infinately more difficult. Completing the simplest tasks involve running multiple different programs on more than one terminal all while the customer is waiting. Our clientelling system is worthless since follow up is nearly impossible so entering information into it is a complete waste of time.

Advice to Management

Let go of the reigns a little bit... or a lot. If you trust your employees you won't need to be interfering with their business all the time, give the stores room to do their jobs and STOP introducing "new initiatives" which aren't even helpful. Why did the company pick this current economic time to launch a credit card and have us jam it down our customers throats or else get in trouble from managment?

Increase payroll so there can at the very least be enough people to run the store efficiently... maybe even pay a living wage to employees?

Don't schedule more than one floor move in a season (maybe a couple extra during the holidays) but it takes SO much time to move all that merchandise around just so they can pull it off the floor and then put it back on the next season, time that they are not willing to pay for.

Respect your employees enough to treat them as professionals, not mindless drones. You can tell me what to do but don't insist on the way that I do it... trust that I know how to do my job!

"working in the past"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is great talent and opportunity at Williams-Sonoma with their network of brands and the quality of professionals that attracts.

Cons

They processes are backwards and very slow, they are not open to change, and the upper management makes approvals difficult and is quick to point fingers when business gets tough instead of pulling their teams together.

Advice to Management

Purge some creative leaders and look for freshness in leadership that will take Williams-Sonoma to a new level for the 21st century.