Williams-Sonoma - Happy that I left this place | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma

"Happy that I left this place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

if you like 40 % discounts on a pink dotted bean bag you definitely should join this company

Cons

disrespectful, arrogant and strongly über-self-opinionated senior co-workers and managers
No room for growth, culture of secrecy, cronyisms and double standards, had been kept totally in the dark and being used as a Guiana pig.
At one time my manager even backstabbed me by advising a co-work not to release certain information I was asking the co-worker for and I would have needed for my project.
Blame culture, no team work but divide and conquer approach

Advice to Management

Practise your advertised "People first" slogan

Other Employee Reviews for Williams-Sonoma

"Micro managed company"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discount on all the family of brands. Really smart and friendly coworkers who were a pleasure to work with.

Cons

It's hard to grow your career with this company. Very little promotions and when there is it's more of a small pay raise than more responsibility. We supposedly had one of our best years in 2012, but there has been a hiring freeze and many benefits taken away. Why would WS communicate to the team that we're doing awesome and then punish us? There's also very little perks and benefits to working here except for the great employee discount. We used to have 2pm leave on Fridays but that was just recently taken away. What are they thinking? Everyone is going to begin to leave and take advantage of the tech boom in San Francisco and leave for companies who have great benefits. We also acquired and developed new brands in 2012, but instead of hiring more people everyone had to take on additional work and I think the quality of work is suffering because everyone is barely scraping by.

Advice to Management

Upper management and the brand presidents are too hands on and micro manage their team and this trickles down to everyone in the company. It's very frustrating when management constantly does whatever it takes to make sales regardless of thinking about the customer experience! They need to back off and listen to their people (the experts) and let us do our job the way we think is best for the company. Of course there needs to be guidance from management, but I feel like it's gotten to the point where we don't feel like our voice is heard.

2. "Manager needs help with keeping store signs and displays current"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Winter Park, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the associates I work with and their eagerness to help customers. Great associate discount for their products. Wouldn't want to work for any other retailer with similar products.

Cons

Love my manager, but she needs help keeping signage current for displayed products. Some displays not functioning properly, such as salt and pepper mills, displaying products without all their parts, such as oven racks. I realize that's because of fear of customer stealing, but there has to be a way to display products better.

Advice to Management

Keep this manager by all means. She is a very hard worker and eager to please customers and employees.