Williams-Sonoma - Company culture/attitude trickles down | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Williams-Sonoma

"Company culture/attitude trickles down"

Current Employee - Creative/Corporate Headquarters in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Creative/Corporate Headquarters in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family of brands is well known and well regarded. They draw smart, talented people with solid backgrounds and experience. On the ecomm side, people work hard, but they seem to be having fun.

Cons

Execs have one foot firmly planted in the past. Teams are chronically under-resourced (not enough people to do the punishing volume of work). Salary-wise, they're notorious lowballers and the perks are minimal and pretty old school. First place I've worked where company mission (their "competencies") seems to be pure lip service. Culture is cold and elitist from the top down. Execs seem to not care at all how the sausage is made, what toll it takes to execute against their ever-changing directives. Not a collegial place to work.

Advice to Management

Get with the times. Live to your competencies - for real. Crunch numbers to free up headcount. Commit to better work/life balance initiatives. Revolutionize the attitude there from the top down.

Other Employee Reviews for Williams-Sonoma

1. "good"

Pros

good place to work part time

Cons

not enough hours to work

Advice to Management

morehours

"It was a ok experience, but I felt like so creatively stifled!"

Former Employee - Internet Design Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Internet Design Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discounts on all the amazing products were obviously a perk. I love going to the employee warehouse sales. There were some great deals at those, but only if you got a good lottery number. Good benefits for the most part, I thought their PTO was a little stingy and slow to accumulate.

Cons

If you are a creative and depending on your level on a particular team within the WSI umbrella you will be doing the EXACT SAME THING FOREVER. Then don't even get me started on the the higher ups there. The creative directors really only cared about one thing and that was what the merchandisers had to say (at least on my particular team). Unfortunately, during my time there I had to work under a manager who was completely under qualified for the position, which was very frustrating to work for, when you know he/she is doing something incorrectly.

Advice to Management

Seriously vet the creative managers you put in place and push the envelope a bit more creatively. Also, "the cave" seems like a good idea in theory, but I seriously though I needed a sun lamp at times, because of the remote placement of the room.