WillowTree - Great Environment | Glassdoor

"Great Environment"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Charlottesville, VA
Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compared to other organizations I have been a part of, WillowTree Apps is really unique. The DRI (Directly Responsible Individual) system and overall environment is different and sets the company apart from others. The level of teamwork and the company culture is truly amazing... you are trusted to get your work done and take care of things without being micromanaged.

Cons

Not really any cons... the DRI system can be stressful at first (everyone from designers to developers manage and interact with clients) but I have come to like it a lot.

Other Employee Reviews for WillowTree

"Awesome Experience"

Current Employee - Senior Android Developer in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Android Developer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been here for almost 3 years and I've learned so much. The opportunities to learn and implement bleeding edge technology is unparallelled. The open environment adds to the atmosphere and seems to encourage camaraderie among the groups that share the space.

The co-workers here are the best part. No one is a douche and everyone gets along. There's not a single person here that I wouldn't drink a beer with, which is a nice segue into my next topic: Beer. More generally, the social events that WillowTree hosts in order to foster closer relationships among co-workers. Weekly beer:30's on Friday where we get a beer and just socialize. Weekly R&D meetings where we get pizza and talk about what's new in our technological world. It's something that is probably underrated by most. For a company like WillowTree to have the Esprit de corps that they have while still growing fairly rapidly is a feat in itself.

The usual pros apply here as well: Good pay, they give you a Macbook to work on, 401k, profit sharing, etc. They're all nice, but nothing beats a workplace that you actually look forward to going to every weekday.

Cons

I suppose the upward mobility is fairly limited, since the management structure is fairly flat. Also the open office is nice, but can get loud. Personally I like it, and it tends to become white noise most of the time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, seriously. Keep the culture. It's a very strong bonus.

"No room for advancement and pressure to deliver on time ahead of budget means ultra long hours."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working on cutting edge technology/apps, pipeline of work is non-stop

Cons

Lack of PMs means you spend more time interacting with clients directly than getting code delivered

Advice to Management

Less red tape, better compensation/bonus package, less PM with clients

WillowTree Response

Apr 23, 2014 – Director of Recruiting

Many of these areas are being addressed right now. Designers and developers are encouraged to decide if they want to act in a DRI role or not. If they do, DRI training is now being implemented... More