Wind River - If you are in Sales, run, run far away | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Wind River

"If you are in Sales, run, run far away"

Former Employee - Sales in Alameda, CA
Former Employee - Sales in Alameda, CA

Pros

-have your own office
-access to free gym

Cons

Since being acquired by Intel in 2009, they make it very difficult for sales people to make money. Expect comp plans to change every year. They have implemented many caps on comissions and don't pay accelerators until the year end.

Other Employee Reviews for Wind River

"Hardworking, supportive, highly motivated workers and flexible workplace, very few slackers."

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Diego, CA

Pros

You work hard, but are treated as an adult. Not a micromanaging company. As an international company, you could be working at all hours of the day, but you have the flexibility to work you hours so you can maintain your private life.

Cons

Once you are known as an expert in one area, it is difficult for the management to have the vision to see you working in another area, even though most people there are some of the most capable people I have worked with. This makes it more difficult, for example to move from one technology to another, or (to some degree) from engineering into management.

Advice to Management

Even your best people are looking for ways to grow. Find those ways.

Remember that we can tell when management is making decisions that favor their personal goals, like eliminating the sabbatical, or forcing vacations, to improve the bottom line enough to make your personal bonus. You are asking the troops to sacrifice so you can make a bit more. Fairness is important! Another example of this is when we merged with Intel, the employee had to absorb the cost of selling our vested shares/options. It was a trivial amount (about $30 in my case), but the principle involved is important: it shows how senior management is looking out for themselves, not the employees.

Bottom line: we are not fools and we can tell B.S. when we hear it. Wind River is actually better at this then most companies, but everyone can improve.

Except for that, my experience at Wind River is one I greatly enjoyed and would recommend the company to anyone.

I marked Ken's leadership as "I approve", because he has basically done a sound job, but the above selfishness that I see on his part needs to be addressed.

2. "Good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA

Pros

agile, startup-like environment, good work environment

Cons

unclear corp vision. compensation not par with industry