Wind River - Great place to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Wind River

"Great place to work for"

Current Employee - Analyst II - Desktop Systems in Alameda, CA
Current Employee - Analyst II - Desktop Systems in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Wind River full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very relax atmosphere I can bring my dog to work and wear shorts to work

Cons

For me I dont have any con's

Other Employee Reviews for Wind River

"Support Engineer"

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Wind River full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Variety of tools to work on, challenging projects,

Cons

Cant explore different opportunities, Laid back environment,

Advice to Management

Not impressive.

"Honest Assessment of Wind River"

Former Employee - Corporate Marketing in Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Marketing in Alameda, CA

I worked at Wind River full-time

Pros

Great small company that is completely autonomous from Intel and is tucked away in a nice location next to Alameda's harbor. This company is great if you want to learn about the embedded software market, network with a very intelligent and passionate group of folks in the embedded software market, and have great work/life/balance. Wind River is #1 in the embedded software market and the workload is not too terribly stressful that if you are innately a hard worker, humble, and teachable, then you will be a winner at Wind River.

The benefits are good enough to compete with other silicon valley companies and the compensation is average.

Cons

I only have a couple of issues with Wind River. First and Foremost, the executive management acts like a start-up group. They can be crass, open strong language (lots of profanity), and very much an inner circle group. Even though gaining access to them or seeing them in the hallways is pretty common, to really get their mind share you really need to be comfortable with an "elitist" mentality. Also, with this type of mentality looking at dramatic change would be difficult to implement. Unfortunately like any other company that faces this dilemma, their flagship product (VxWorks) is commoditized. VxWorks is a great product but that flagship product is going through evolutionary changes and not revolutionary changes. On the Linux side, the company is having a tough time making profits from it. Furthermore, the company is focused on improving the short-term success of Wind River and not the long-term success.

The people who work for Wind River are contempt and just "do-their-job". The feeling is not like Google or Facebook where people will go the extra mile to make the company successful. Like I mentioned above, there are passionate people who love the embedded software market but not passionate about Wind River. Does this make sense?

Advice to Management

Need to look into Market Disruption Strategies to really change the rules of the embedded software market. Since Intel owns Wind River, it is time to take risk to change the rules. There might be a couple of quarters or decline or rockiness but will pay huge dividends in the long run. The competition in the embedded software market is fierce but not too many new entrants to the market. Have a knock-out strategy to eliminate the competition and still enjoy large market dominance.