Wizards of the Coast - Good, bad and the ugly | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Wizards of the Coast

"Good, bad and the ugly"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I worked at Wizards of the Coast (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is nice to work with!

Cons

Management needs to get their act together

Advice to Management

Lot's of powerpoint goals and strategy. Not enough action. Too many goals for the year. Needs to break down in smaller chunks to make any kind of traction.

Other Employee Reviews for Wizards of the Coast

"It's a real sadness"

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time

Pros

Some of the most passionate and talented individuals I've ever worked with. A product that I've loved and has been a huge part of my identity since my early childhood.

Cons

I've loved Magic since I was a child, and working in R&D was a lifelong dream. When I first joined Wizards over a year ago, I was excited, proud and looking forward to living in that dream job.

Unfortunately, the reality is something much uglier. Wizards is rife with gender discrimination and sexual harassment as a matter of daily course, and that behavior and its perpetrators are tolerated and even protected at the highest levels.

If you are a woman, or gender queer, your career at Wizards will be governed by the most transparent of glass ceilings, unless you're willing to grit your teeth through daily indignities and flatter your way into advancement.

This is a stark hypocrisy when juxtaposed to the stated goals, culture and values of the company, and it's disgusting.

Advice to Management

You're going to have to start valuing people in different ways, or your culture will continue to degrade.

"Great if you want to be a coaster for drinks"

I worked at Wizards of the Coast (More than 8 years)

Pros

the gym
    long lunch hours
    napping on the job
    staring blankly at the screen updating your facebook because you get paid one way or another

Cons

politics
    If you want to do more, then don't come here. Once you're hired into a position the only way to go up is to do some major brown nosing. It also helps to be a man to get a director's position.
    complaints not taken seriously.
    Complacency is shocking within the company. I've watched it go on a downward spiral and if things don't change the company will fail even if Magic remains a success.

Advice to Management

You need to get on the ball. R&D is shockingly slack. How long will it be before even your cash cow Magic isn't enough to keep you above the water?