Wizards of the Coast - Good, bad and the ugly | Glassdoor

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Good, bad and the ugly"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I worked at Wizards of the Coast (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is nice to work with!

Cons

Management needs to get their act together

Advice to Management

Lot's of powerpoint goals and strategy. Not enough action. Too many goals for the year. Needs to break down in smaller chunks to make any kind of traction.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Old Boys Club"

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Half-day Fridays and generous PTO are very nice. Great product program as an employee benefit. The company invests generously in education.

Cons

As a woman, I experience near daily reminders that my advancement opportunities are limited. Men who are less competent than women are hired and promoted into leadership positions for no apparent reason, other than they "fit in" pretty well with the other white male leaders. Sexual harassment and discrimination aren't just my speculation; I've actually overheard male coworkers discussing female coworkers appearances and bodies. When I'm directly confronted with sexism, I try to laugh it off and that works okay for me, but it's actually quite demoralizing. I used to love working here, and it makes me really sad to have seen the dark side of its culture.

Advice to Management

Training and making statements about culture isn't working. I don't know what it will take. But having nearly all women in the HR department is clearly not what's going to change the company. You have to change the leaders to make real change.

"It's a real sadness"

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time

Pros

Some of the most passionate and talented individuals I've ever worked with. A product that I've loved and has been a huge part of my identity since my early childhood.

Cons

I've loved Magic since I was a child, and working in R&D was a lifelong dream. When I first joined Wizards over a year ago, I was excited, proud and looking forward to living in that dream job.

Unfortunately, the reality is something much uglier. Wizards is rife with gender discrimination and sexual harassment as a matter of daily course, and that behavior and its perpetrators are tolerated and even protected at the highest levels.

If you are a woman, or gender queer, your career at Wizards will be governed by the most transparent of glass ceilings, unless you're willing to grit your teeth through daily indignities and flatter your way into advancement.

This is a stark hypocrisy when juxtaposed to the stated goals, culture and values of the company, and it's disgusting.

Advice to Management

You're going to have to start valuing people in different ways, or your culture will continue to degrade.

Discover more reviews about Wizards of the Coast.