Wolters Kluwer - Great Flexibility | Glassdoor

"Great Flexibility"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Wolters Kluwer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work from home. Good Money for Sales Rep in Corporate Tax

Cons

Segmented Market and divided products that sales force could sell. Territories became enormous.

Other Employee Reviews for Wolters Kluwer

1. "About as good as you can expect right now"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Wolters Kluwer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Long standing brand (100 years) and marketplace position. Some really good people work here. Friendly Chicago offices. This company is more respectful towards older workers, which, as a younger worker, I really respect. It might be one of the last companies out there that appear to actually makes an attempt to retain aging mid-level workers who have been loyal after many years of service. I'm giving it 3 stars on a because I know how it stacks up against other opportunities in the marketplace. I believe there are only a handful of 4 star companies out there, and so this is pretty much as good as it gets right now (which I don't think is good at all). There are some forward thinking strategies, some are misguided though. My impression is the CEO of Wolters Kluwer (not CCH, the sub - she is new so I have no opinion yet) is a forward thinker and she takes a balanced and rational approach to company strategy. She does not come across as the tyrannical type that head up so many other companies right now.

Cons

Just like every other massive company out there there are never ending unrealistic expectations of perpetual growth. Mysterious faceless executives make sweeping changes and crony based promotions abound as they do in every other company in America. This company is based out of the Netherlands, and the US branch is held much higher profit and efficiency standards. The US has much lower benefits than their European counterparts. The whole idea that I should in-debt myself to the banks for 30 years, give half my earnings to the gov't, take a brief 1 week vacation, and then enslave myself to a corporation just so I can live hand to mouth until the day I die really does not appeal to me.

Advice to Management

You need more flexible pricing strategies to secure revenue streams over longer periods. The marketplace is volatile and we are losing customers we could otherwise retain. You need to allow for more creative solutions. Sales people are extremely important to the lifeblood of your business, and and the current model does not empower us enough. Encourage process worker b's to think outside the box and solve problems creatively without just going back to the rule book or having to talk to management. We have some people who are really stuck in rigid processes and it slows sales down to a crawl sometimes. Overall I think CCH is one of the better companies out there, but there is not nearly enough transparency in management. As every corporation does, you still have serious problems with nepotism. Man-up/Woman-up management-and squash this! You'll earn a lot of respect for it. Tell your buddies to go get another job at another company (you can give them a stellar recommendation still) and make new friends at the water cooler-they will make out ok. Every worker in America is tired of the same old routine and we will reach a breaking point, I promise. A good start to changing things would be to start enforcing mandatory vacation (don't forget to include sales) as your European counterparts do. That would be a nice change and forward thinking. Nothing worse than having vacation and not being able to actually use it - it is a bait and switch routine and we are all tired of this.

"If you enjoy not having a life, then the Researcher role is for you..."

Former Employee - Research/Quality Assurance in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research/Quality Assurance in New York, NY

I worked at Wolters Kluwer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary is ok and I concur with the previous poster that opportunity to earn extra income through overtime and working on weekends can make it worthwhile, but all of this comes at a price. TIME
    Working overtime is a way of life not an occasional necessity. Weekends is optional and lots of people work so much OT that they usually say the heck with working on the weekends even though it can be lucrative.
    You will learn a lot, especially lots of esoteric information.
    Good benefits, health insurance etc...
    Comfortable work environment and the ability to telecommute.

Cons

Extremely poor work life balance. If you are looking for a 9-5 job, this isn't for you. Because there is a never ending need for employees to work overtime, needless to say you aren't leaving at 5:00 or even 6:00, you get the picture. Depending on the length of your commute, arriving home at 8 or 9:00 or even later on a fairly regular basis is a way of life. If you have commitments in the evening (family, children, school) they'd better be understanding of your crazy schedule. Upper management realizes all of this is a big problem and the strain it puts on their employees, however there is little they can do about it, as employees leave or are let go, replenishing the head count is difficult. A long training process is involved and typically takes 6 months to a year for a new hire Researcher to get up to speed. Also, one of every four people hired do not pan out others become dissatisfied with the position and the demands it makes on one's life and decide to hang it up. So there is lots of one step forward two steps back kind if thing going on. To their credit management has taken steps to make the training shorter and make it a more pleasant place to work, alleviating some of the strain on the current group, but all of this is moving at a glacial pace.
    Negativity galore. The previous poster is correct, you'll be told every way conceivable on how you screwed up, while part of this is necessary, there is little or no positive enforcement. And the draconian and at times subjective point scoring system doesn't help. If you want to feel like you are back in Jr. high, then you won't mind this.

Advice to Management

I'd give you advice, but I know you won't listen or take it, so what's the point?