Wolters Kluwer - A good place to work | Glassdoor

"A good place to work"

Pros

Excellent compensation package.
Opportunities for growth and teamwork.

Cons

Office politics can be overwhelming.

Other Employee Reviews for Wolters Kluwer

1. "Great Flexibility"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Wolters Kluwer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work from home. Good Money for Sales Rep in Corporate Tax

Cons

Segmented Market and divided products that sales force could sell. Territories became enormous.

2. "About as good as you can expect right now"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Wolters Kluwer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Long standing brand (100 years) and marketplace position. Some really good people work here. Friendly Chicago offices. This company is more respectful towards older workers, which, as a younger worker, I really respect. It might be one of the last companies out there that appear to actually makes an attempt to retain aging mid-level workers who have been loyal after many years of service. I'm giving it 3 stars on a because I know how it stacks up against other opportunities in the marketplace. I believe there are only a handful of 4 star companies out there, and so this is pretty much as good as it gets right now (which I don't think is good at all). There are some forward thinking strategies, some are misguided though. My impression is the CEO of Wolters Kluwer (not CCH, the sub - she is new so I have no opinion yet) is a forward thinker and she takes a balanced and rational approach to company strategy. She does not come across as the tyrannical type that head up so many other companies right now.

Cons

Just like every other massive company out there there are never ending unrealistic expectations of perpetual growth. Mysterious faceless executives make sweeping changes and crony based promotions abound as they do in every other company in America. This company is based out of the Netherlands, and the US branch is held much higher profit and efficiency standards. The US has much lower benefits than their European counterparts. The whole idea that I should in-debt myself to the banks for 30 years, give half my earnings to the gov't, take a brief 1 week vacation, and then enslave myself to a corporation just so I can live hand to mouth until the day I die really does not appeal to me.

Advice to Management

You need more flexible pricing strategies to secure revenue streams over longer periods. The marketplace is volatile and we are losing customers we could otherwise retain. You need to allow for more creative solutions. Sales people are extremely important to the lifeblood of your business, and and the current model does not empower us enough. Encourage process worker b's to think outside the box and solve problems creatively without just going back to the rule book or having to talk to management. We have some people who are really stuck in rigid processes and it slows sales down to a crawl sometimes. Overall I think CCH is one of the better companies out there, but there is not nearly enough transparency in management. As every corporation does, you still have serious problems with nepotism. Man-up/Woman-up management-and squash this! You'll earn a lot of respect for it. Tell your buddies to go get another job at another company (you can give them a stellar recommendation still) and make new friends at the water cooler-they will make out ok. Every worker in America is tired of the same old routine and we will reach a breaking point, I promise. A good start to changing things would be to start enforcing mandatory vacation (don't forget to include sales) as your European counterparts do. That would be a nice change and forward thinking. Nothing worse than having vacation and not being able to actually use it - it is a bait and switch routine and we are all tired of this.