Wood Consulting - A Great Place to Work | Glassdoor

"A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Wood Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WOOD Consulting Services, Inc. is a great place to work. Like most small businesses, the 2013 calendar year has been challenging. I like the fact that the President herself has step up and involved herself in all activities to include Human Resources. When asked why she is so involved ... her response was "Why Not". You as an employee is very important to WOOD and I am happy that the market changes now allow me the opportunity to get to know you personally and refocus the company strategically.

Cons

Working as a government contractor for 2012 and 2013 has been very challenging. Our customer has increased their priorities requiring us to work harder with fewer staff. I'm learning a lot but sometimes I have a lot of projects to coordinate during a short time span.

Advice to Management

Stay connected! We are moving in a positive direction.

Other Employee Reviews for Wood Consulting

"A Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Associate Technical Writer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate Technical Writer in Washington, DC

I worked at Wood Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You don't have to work hard at all to get everything done here. You get to pick what time you want to come in and what time you want to leave after you've served your 8 hours.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. No HR department whatsoever. You know it's bad when HR jumps ship. High turnover, low salaries (compared to other local salaries), and constantly changing style guides. Technical writers are slaves to management's sporadic decisions and moods.

Advice to Management

I have no advise to management because, in management's own words, "There are some things that we will not change, period."

Wood Consulting Response

Oct 31, 2013 – President/CEO

It is important for everyone to understand the economy and decisions employees and employers make in running their business. WOOD has been operating with two full-time human resource professionals ... More

"This place is bad. Wasn't going to review until I saw the recent, suspiciously positive ratings."

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Washington, DC

I worked at Wood Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Disclaimer: this review concerns the DC office of technical writers

This is an okay first job for new grads desperate for experience and willing to "pay their dues" in the hopes of getting a better job down the road.
    Good benefits.
    Convenient metro-accessible location.
    Friendly and eclectic coworkers.

Cons

Awful pay.
    Tense work environment.
    Highly unprofessional, disorganized, and inefficient people in management positions.
    Uneven distribution of work leaves a few employees overloaded and the others desperate for something to do.
    Bad relationship with clients due to the high employee turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Not sure where to start here... yikes. Bottom line, stop hiring people with 5 years experience and hoping they stick around. The work isn't challenging or interesting enough to retain them and the office environment is depressing. Entry-level is really the way to go.

Wood Consulting Response

Oct 31, 2013 – President/CEO

I'm happy the submitter noticed the "recent, suspiciously positive ratings" - its working! To address the "Awful pay" comments, WOOD is a federal contractor operating in an environment in which the ... More