Wordbank - good work/life balance | Glassdoor

"good work/life balance"

Pros

good reputation
work with talented people
good work environment
good hours
good place to work if you think about retirement

Cons

office politics, yes it's all about people
ineffective trainings and meetings
project cycle is very slow
senior people are under qualified

Advice to Management

too many senior people are siting in the office and doing nothing. need to develop a better performance evaluation system

Other Employee Reviews for Wordbank

1. "Great People, Great Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Wordbank full-time

Pros

Wordbank is a great place to work because of the people, the company values, the development opportunities, and the overall flexibility. You won't be micro-managed here and will be treated like an adult who can make decisions that impact the company. We're not punching a time clock and have lots of flexibility, such as the freedom to work out during the day or work from home when needed. I appreciate the level of support you receive and the opportunities to make your own role once you've proved yourself. There is a steep learning curve but it is interesting work and there's never a dull moment if you're someone who loves to learn new things.

We have a close-knit team who pushes each other to do better and to think of different ways of doing things. We're all pretty geeky and passionate in our own way which makes for fun and interesting conversations around the office.

I think one of the best things about the company is the commitment to people, sustainability/environmental efforts, and social impact. While no company is perfect, it is inspiring that Wordbank is trying to do better in the world and to have an impact that isn't just about profit.

Cons

As with working in any small company we all wear many hats, which isn't a bad thing, but can lead to juggling a lot on your plate at times. It can also take a while to make progress on longer-term strategic company goals since people can get bogged down in other tak

2. "Awesome company, awesome people"

Former Employee - Marketing/Sales in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing/Sales in Denver, CO

I worked at Wordbank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working at Wordbank. The people were absolutely amazing and the work was really interesting and challenging. The company itself is pretty cool and has carved out its own unique space in a traditional industry. The focus was always on providing clients the best experience possible--including advising clients on what would best fit their needs and goals, rather than trying to sell them crap they didn't need--and that care was reflected in the quality of the work and each department's focus on customer service. I was routinely impressed and proud of the work that the team produced. Employees and management treated each other, contractors, and in-country resources with respect, and while there was some occasional tension, people usually gave each other the benefit of the doubt.

Again, the people were what really made Wordbank special. My colleagues (and even management!) were smart, kind, interesting, funny, ethical, and ambitious. I learned new things from them constantly, which always made coming to work fun. Employees were truly encouraged to be themselves. Plus, with the home office being in London, I got to know people from a variety of different cultures and backgrounds that I would never have met otherwise.

Aside from that, I loved the company’s focus on environmental and social responsibility. The working environment was also nice — relaxed, with a casual dress code and flexible hours. It was an open office, which could be distracting, but also helped me get to know my coworkers better and exposed me to the business’s broader activities. The benefits were good too, and the building had some great amenities (including a free gym, a gorgeous rooftop patio and kombucha on tap.)

Cons

With the primary focus being on client work much of the time, more strategic internal initiatives often got pushed to the side.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the strategic direction of the company, and leverage employees' strengths and desire to grow to work toward broader strategic goals -- there is no end to the team's talent, and there are plenty of areas where they can contribute.