Words & Numbers - Excellent assistance and cooperation | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Words & Numbers

"Excellent assistance and cooperation"

Current Contractor - Freelance Writer in Baltimore, MD
Current Contractor - Freelance Writer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Words & Numbers as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Well-defined project
Great assistance
Cooperative and receptive staff
Excellent feedback
Scope for growth

Cons

As I was a remote worker, I feel that issuing invoices for each of the assignments was cumbersome.

Mar 30, 2013 – Senior Manager

Thank you for your review. We will look into the invoicing process to determine if it can be improved.

Other Employee Reviews for Words & Numbers

"Simply Put: A Mess"

Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Baltimore, MD

Pros

There are some smart people there with good ideas. Sometimes they mean well.

Cons

Management is in the toilet. The company seems to restructure every six months or so. The departments differed in their levels of chaos when I left. I would say science was probably the best run (and was also the smallest), followed by humanities, and math is far behind both. Or was--the departments have restructured again since I left, so things may have changed.

The company tends to put far too many people into management positions who are severely underqualified. Employee trainings are often a joke (three copyediting trainings in the space of six months?).

Feedback is rarely given for work produced, usually because supervisors are overloaded with work and don't have the time or management training to give appropriate, constructive feedback.

People are also assigned to projects seemingly at random, with no regard for the past experiences of these employees or thought given to what they might either want to do or be good at doing.

Advice to Management

Read the above "cons" above, study the resumes of potential employees and put more thought into hiring (especially in this job market where there ought to be loads of qualified applicants), listen to your employees, don't take employee feedback as a personal attack, and focus on giving more meaningful training to a workforce largely untrained in educational content development.

Mar 29, 2013 – Senior Manager

Thank you for your thoughts. As a services-based company, we need to be flexible in organization to meet client and market changes. We believe the best training for managing projects is on-the-job ... More

"Temp to perm employment offer not a well thought out experiment, be forewarned!"

Former Employee - Assistant Math Editor in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Math Editor in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Friday 1pm meetings to review new projects were great. Schedule flexibility was also. Mathematical expertise of some staff was superior. Competence of adminstrative staff was superior. There's plenty of work to be done.

Cons

Candidates who applied for math editor positions were contacted and offered temp positions that might become permanent positions instead. Although the website states that "Qualified applicants will be asked to take a writing/editing test," none was given. Instead, after completing HR forms, temps were introduced to project managers and 'hit the ground running.' At least one secondary math text project had no staff with classroom teaching experience.

Advice to Management

Department managers should take the time to meet and interview new hires, even temps. Know what your website specifies as far as qualifications for positions. Explain your decision to deviate from these published specifications by clearly definimg your goals, including deadlines, to new hires.

Mar 29, 2013 – Senior Manager

We appreciate your feedback. Because educational publishing is a new field to many new hires, we often bring people in on a trial period which allows potential employees to determine if there is a ... More