Work for Progress - A detriment to the Progressive Movement. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Work for Progress

"A detriment to the Progressive Movement."

I worked at Work for Progress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can gain managerial experience as a recent college graduate if you are hired on to a managerial position. Unfortunately, it may involve selling your soul.

Cons

Work for Progress is closely aligned with Fund for the Public Interest. Work for Progress hires people to run unethical fundraising canvassing operations for the Fund for the Public Interest. These operations treat their canvassers as expendable. They have extremely fast turnaround because the job sucks. They have to make quota every night, regardless of weather (Canvass during rain and dangerously extreme heat) or the suitability of the neighborhood being canvassed. Even if a canvasser collects way above their quota for a few months, if they miss the quota for three days in a row, or miss their weekly average quota two weeks in a row, they are fired.

People often do not make quota, and are fired. Others quit after a couple weeks because to make quota, you must walk quickly from door to door for 5 hours straight in the hopes you find people willing to actually talk to you, and canvassers are often treated poorly while doing so by the residents they encounter. A canvasser makes minimum wage unless they collect more than their quota.

Since the job sucks so much, and since its hard to keep employee morale up when you fire them constantly, the Fund for the Public Interest pressures their employees to attend social gatherings after every single night of work. If you are a manager, this means that after 13 hours of work, you will be expected to pressure your employees to go eat out somewhere or have some drinks as a group. This is all in the hope that enough people will want to actually continue working theri so they can continue to see their co-workers, who they have likely developed friendships with.

Ultimately the Fund for the Public Interest, and as such Work for Progress, does not work with their employees on progressive issues. They use and exploit their employees for progressive issues. If you are actually progressively minded, and care for people, and for people's labor rights, you will not want to be hired by work for progress. Their partner Fund for the Public Interest has actually busted union efforts in the past.

Work for Progresses website acknowledges they are partnered with the Fund for the Public Interest. This is a very very close partnership. If you are hired by Work for Progress, you likely will be working with Fund for the Public Interest on one of their campaigns. The Fund for the Public Interest subsequently partners with organizations such as Environment America, US PIRG, Human Rights Campaign, FairShare Alliance. While these organization's stated ends may be of good substance, the methods the fund for the public interest uses to achieve them often are not justifiable. To get a good idea of the organization you will likely end up working for, Fund for the Public Interest, please look them up on this website. There are tons of reviews which provide a good warning.

Advice to Management

Stop partnering with The Fund for the Public Interest. They exploit their employees, and are a detriment to the progressive movement. Even if you achieve some goals, how many potential true progressive leaders have been disillusioned due to the unethical methods they encountered with this unfortunately large organization? Have you gained some small goals while ultimately destroying our country's chance of having a society which is truly supportive of all people? The leaders you are cultivating are the type that are more interested in their own advancement then the rights and quality of life of the people. Reorganize with a structure which takes the worth and self interest of your workers and society to heart. Any organization which functions on manipulation rather than serving their workers true self interest is counter to everything the Progressive movement should and could be.

Other Employee Reviews for Work for Progress

"Regional Director"

I have been working at Work for Progress full-time

Pros

I go to sleep proud of the work I do every night. I'm organizing a movement and making a difference in my community and across the country. The travel is fun too.

Cons

It IS hard work, but if social change were easy, than this job wouldn't exist.

"State Organizer"

Pros

I see my work make a difference. I also get to travel all over the country to places that are brand new to me! I also get to go to bed every night knowing I make a difference.

Cons

It is hard work, as is expected with social change. You do have to come in some weekends, but if time is managed well, you shouldn't have to work 7 days a week!

Advice to Management

More collaboration between senior campaign staff and the people in the states working in the field.