WorldFish Center - Great learning experience | Glassdoor

"Great learning experience"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at WorldFish Center as an intern

Pros

I had direct exposure to senior directors, great mentoring, and a great learning experience, though that may have been specific to my position. It was a project based position and I had full responsibility for the whole project assignment to me, but bi-weekly support with my boss who adjusted the project as needed. A great work experience.

Cons

I didn't have any office space, so I worked remotely. But that was okay with me.

Other Employee Reviews for WorldFish Center

1. "Review national research staff salary scale"

I worked at WorldFish Center full-time

Pros

Nice environment and flexible working hours. Staffs are very committed and efficient.

Cons

Remuneration for national and global category is insurmountable gap. HR have controlling power to determine promotion and salary scale, resulting slow progress, jeopardize fair working environment.

Advice to Management

Under competitive funding environment, other than looking for funding environment, staffs satisfaction and fair policy environment are important to ensure the program moving forward.

2. "Committed staff"

Former Employee - Program Director in Ayer Itam (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Program Director in Ayer Itam (Malaysia)

I worked at WorldFish Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Non-profit work environments in Malaysia are rare. Individuals that work at WorldFish are incredibly committed to the center's mission and values. The work environment in HQ is collegial, informal, friendly. Management is approachable. Employee work planning and evaluation is taken seriously. Mid-level managers are offered management and leadership training. Very gender positive work environment in HQ

Cons

As a non-profit, the center's annual budget depends on success in fundraising. This leads to financial instability with staff being added as projects arrive and dismissed as projects end. Research staff travel extensively and can easily average 50-60 hour weeks. You need to pay attention to work-life balance here. As a relatively small organization, career growth in either the administrative or research side is limited to mostly opportunities that open through staff attrition.

Advice to Management

Sustain management and leadership training. Invest further in fundraising especially in sub-saharan Africa. Continue to stress gender issues in country offices.