XM Satellite Radio Holdings - Understaffed and undermanned | Glassdoor

"Understaffed and undermanned"

Former Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC

Pros

Dynamic environment. Programming team was great, especially music programming

Cons

Senior leadership didnt listen to top strategic partners. Very arrogant

Advice to Management

Sit and talk with strategic partners (retail, OEM, distributors) and ask for help in becoming relevant again

Other Employee Reviews for XM Satellite Radio Holdings

1. "Good while it lasted."

Former Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC

Pros

Good company in the beginning. Exciting new technology and growing future.

Cons

Short-sighted management who made decisions based more on "gut feelings" and personal competitiveness with Sirius Management.

Advice to Management

Sirius should unload as many of the "strategic" thinkers that they acquired from XM, or else Sirius will also fall. Clearly, all they managed to do, was make XM ripe for Sirius to acquire.

2. "This was such a great place to work"

Former Employee - Producer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Producer in Washington, DC

Pros

Although this company was recently merged into Sirius Satellite Radio, this was a fantastic place to work. I always felt supported by senior management and was encouraged to learn, grow and try new ideas and launch new projects. It was a supportive, creative, but sometimes tough environment to work in. We got lots of feedback and the review process was actually something that managers took seriously. Senior management was accessible and definitely practiced a "open door" policy at all times. All in all, I have to say that I really loved working at XM Satellite Radio. It's too bad that it was merged into Sirius.

Cons

Long hours and some behind the scenes sniping. When we were launching new projects -- like anywhere else, I'm sure -- we could have incredible stressful evenings of putting projects together. These were often disorganized, but some liked to use the words "controlled chaos" to describe it. As the company's business prospects soured during the past few years, and a lot of new managers were brought in from the outside, the attitude of the place definitely went south. There were some key hires, I believe, that were mishires in programming. But the big mistakes were made in the financial management of this company, which is why it was puchased by Sirius Satellite Radio.

Advice to Management

I cut my journalism teeth here, and miss it a lot. I wish you guys didn't mess it up!