XO Communications - A regrettable experience at best | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for XO Communications

"A regrettable experience at best"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

Flexible hours, private office, plenty of parking

Cons

Disrespectful and inept upper management. All plans made retroactively and those who were smart enough to call the shots were smart enough to leave. No salary increases for many years, and questionable bonus payout practices. Worst benefits package I've seen in my working career, and the vacation policy/allotment is very weak. Uncertainty is king and everyday is a surprise and let down.

Advice to Management

Just let it go. A flailing company, by any other name, still won't turn a profit.

Other Employee Reviews for XO Communications

"Good company going bad"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Tampa, FL

Pros

Once a great company to work for. Progressive thinking and forward moving.

Cons

Looks like the company is scaling down expenses to improve the balance sheet. Getting ready to sell. This is placing extensive work load on those left behind.

Advice to Management

Get back on track to being the great communications company you once were.

"Sales Engineering Management Not Good"

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Oak Brook, IL

Pros

Many of the local people I worked with at the branch level were good, some executives I met also seemed to legitimately care and want to improve things.

Cons

Too many to describe... Job content as an SE was terrible. Instead of using years of industry experience designing and selling customers networks, we would spend up to 75% of our time processing site surveys (i.e. filling out spreadsheets with demarcs and TN's to be ported) for orders. That is important work but really should not be done by a sales engineer that is supposed to be doing design work for complex solutions. The SE management was also very disappointing - would treat us in degrading ways, would not put people in positions commensurate with their industry experience. The top four reasons I left were job content (tired of site surveys), bad morale (many unhappy employees), SE management (just not good), and compensation (better elsewhere).

Advice to Management

Follow the lead of your HR and BMG executives, they are good. Need to totally lift the morale of employees because they are leaving quickly. As for SE management, clean house because some of their treatment is awful.