XO Group - MGT is willing to invest in you assuming your competent and hard working | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for XO Group

"MGT is willing to invest in you assuming your competent and hard working"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Smaller business with an ability to get to know many Lines of Business

Cons

Growth is limited after a short growth spurt.

Advice to Management

Need more investment in mid-level management.

Other Employee Reviews for XO Group

"Knot = NOT"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The salary is competitive. There was no micromanagement, which was great, however, it was bad as well as you can get lost in a bubble.

Cons

I totally agree with th other review hereon this board that there is NO communication between your manager and you. They all communicate mostly by email, even if they work in the office that’s across from your cubicle. There’s NO mentoring, NO sense of support, NO training even if you’ve newly on the job. You’re left to fend for yourself. And if you’re working in the LA office, good luck! There is no management there, so you’re in a complete bubble, and any problems you may have will never be brought to light, unless you speak up. If you do speak up in your weekly one on one’s with your mgr via telephone, then it will be put on hold until the next time the manager comes to the LA office (which could be 1-2 months from that time).

Mangement piles on projects to one person. They also pile on roles onto you that are not part of your day to day duties and you are not supposed to do. Because of this confusion of people performing different duties, the employees get EXTREMELY confused as to who’s doing what, and when projects slip due to the fact your were overloaded, and were given a role that you’re not a fit to perform, you still get blamed for it. VP's in charge of the company will not get to the root of the problem, but just blame the little guy..

I also agree also with the other review on this board that if there you challenge seniors in the company. You will be chastised with an email with the COO, CEO, and other VP’s copied in the email. I’ve also witnessed this happen. You can be chastised among a roomful of people or in a 10 person conference call.

There is also no comaraderie among the peers who work in the company. Many will trample you in their hopes to shine. It is definitely a female centric company, so the males have little luck. And if you are a woman, be sure you are EXTREMELY "aggressive" for the lack of a better word, otherwise you WILL get trampled on.

Advice to Management

I would say trust your employees, make them appreciated, and try to build comaraderie among the peers and among management and peers. It's very important for the health of the company and to keep the valuable employees from leaving.

"The Knot - WOW. And?"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Working at The Knot is great, particularly if you are female (office and its locations are predominately female). There are some interesting perks (like beauty sales, and name dropping at the most exclusive bridal design houses in the world!) Main office location is utterly FABULOUS as if you are out during lunch (that is if you actually have the time to go to lunch) you can celebrity watch while in Soho. There are some amazing people who work there and who are very talented, so you will learn a lot from people you work in close proximity with.. The name of the company looks fabulous on your resume. Also, depending on the dept you work in and the job functionality you have, I would say pay is fair (about avg)

Cons

Well, for one thing there was very little work/life balance. When I first started, me leaving at a normal time (5:45-6pm) lasted about a month. After that, I would get to the office at about 7:45-8:30 and leave the office later and later (getting home at 9 pm usually). I guess I should have picked up on this early, particularly when summer hours were started in the middle of July one year and in August of another year!

You are given an excessive amount of projects, oddly enough w| generally the same due dates, and sharing resources across another 5 PMs. This is a problem especially when no one communicates with anyone else intra-departmentally. Very limited career opportunities and little room for advancement. Perhaps lateral moves, yes, advancement, not quite.

If you are having issues with anyone from your project team, GOOD LUCK bringing that to senior mgmt. You will simply be told "You need to be more mean" or "You are expected to be a pain in the butt' for your project team members. Not sure what others think, but that is not exactly a direction I'd expect from my supervisor. Good luck if you challenge seniors in the PM dept as well. You will be chastised not in person, but rather on email that will go to a great many senior members, including the CEO and EIC. YES, you will get thrown under the bus! During my time there, I have witnessed this happen to 4 different project/product mgrs, and 3 other managers get this treatment. You will get very little support or direction from your senior staff, so if you are thinking about escalating a problem to them..be prepared for no action or the glossed over response of "OK, thanks for letting me know. I will get back to you" or "Be more tough"

There is really no REAL communication between your supervisor, senior mgr and you. In fact there is no communication amongst your peers within the same dept as you and they have no clue what you are doing and vice versa. there are team members who also just do not like communicating with anyone other than their own immediate manager, so good luck with getting any type of updates or status reports!

New ideas are definitely NOT welcome, and really when you do bring new ideas to the table, you are just considered 'a pain'. You will get the aforementioned glossed over answer of "I will get back to you"

Many many cliques in the company, and yes, management does have their favorites. So you should be sure NOT to upset a favorite. If you do..haha, you will get thrown under a bus again, and in front of EVERYONE. Likability is a big factor there! Constructive criticism would be great, if it were given. It is not. If you make a mistake, chances are it will be held against you for your entire time there.

The Knot is an at-will company, therefore they can and will fire you at any given moment. Those people I mentioned who out blasted in emails for challenging or not conforming to 'protocol'? They ALL were released from their positions shortly thereafter. And trust me when i say, for each person who was let go, there were conflicting reasons given to staff for any of the 'layoffs or terminations' (conflicting reasons from senior supervisors...)

Not sure if this is a factor, but I counted 6 minorities during my time there. I can honestly say , I found alot of the staff to be extremely unfriendly (outside my dept....even if they were on an assignment with me). At the end, I found my experience to be mediocre. (with the cons outweighing the pros)

Advice to Management

Executive management needs to take a look at the REAL people doing the work. Some of the VPs do not care about anything other than covering their butts and letting their team get chewed out at every opportunity! You have some AMAZING talent in your office and you need to open your eyes and recognize. THEY are the ones that have gotten The Knot to where it is today.