XPRIZE - A Dream Job Come True | Glassdoor

"A Dream Job Come True"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Senior Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I get to work with talented interesting people on projects that make the World a better place. I get to wear jeans to work every day and work in a relaxed and engaging atmosphere. I get a comfortable office and pleasant coworkers and I actually get paid to do things that I want to do. I get respect and autonomy without being overworked and every day is a new and exciting challenge. I'm happy.

Cons

In my wanderings around the office, I often encounter people who are doing even more interesting projects that I am, but I can't just drop what I'm doing and join their team. The ever-present supply of fruit, snacks, and beverages in the kitchen is making it difficult for me not to gain weight. I still haven't figured out how to get one of those cool XPRIZE jackets.

Advice to Management

Work on putting more efficient processes, technology and systems in place to make it easier for employees to get everything done more quickly. Need to work on orientation of new hires to make sure they get all the information and connections that they need right away.

Other Employee Reviews for XPRIZE

"Making the Possible, Impossible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

Pros

- In its rawest concept, the X PRIZE Foundation is a great idea: think up some seemingly impossible task, and dangle a large cash prize to lure the best and the brightest to complete it.

- There are numerous employees who are brilliant, kind people.

Cons

- In actuality, the creativity is lacking. The prize ideas that get funded are completely within the realm of possibility currently, and are frequently things that have already been done.

- The brilliant, kind people get fired at Christmas time after devoting years of service.

- The approval process is dismal, and entirely too time consuming. Frequently, the people you need to approve things are not in the office (Senior management takes numerous vacations and unnecessary travel).

- Senior management and consultants are overpaid, and normally only in the office a maximum of 4 days a week.

- After securing a multi-million dollar donation for operations, two key workers were fired for no apparent reason.

Advice to Management

- Streamline the approval process.

- Eliminate the ADP time tracking system - it's a colossal waste of time.

- Don't fire people around the holidays; it's bad for morale.

- When you do fire people, at least pretend to be remorseful.

- Listen to your employees; we can make this place run smoother. Also, as others have said, let people do their jobs.

- CEO needs to think bigger.

"The idea is great, but the workplace is not inspiring."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

Pros

Being a part of big ideas, and helping make them happen
    Competition and competitors are inspiring
    Unique opportunities
    A well-connected company

Cons

Poor management
    Low salaries for most employees (but high salaries for upper management)
    Disorganization
    Unreasonable expectations
    Big egos
    Constant struggle for budget on projects

Advice to Management

Trust your employees to do the job you hired them for.