XPRIZE - Maturing and growing in an exciting field | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for XPRIZE

"Maturing and growing in an exciting field"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

Pros

Exposure to world class thinkers, visionary leaders and fascinating concepts and challenges. Huge sense of impacting the world and making a difference. Maturing organization that is self critical, learning and evolving.

Cons

Suffers from mission creep, still learning how to pare down to key strategic initiatives, building the muscle to say no to "new, exciting" projects and to develop organizational discipline. Getting better, but still further to go.

Advice to Management

Empower the new leadership and focus on successfully completing the active X PRIZE competitions and designing and launching new X PRIZE competitions. Do less, stay focussed, do it better.

Other Employee Reviews for XPRIZE

"A Meaningful Career"

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Working in an environment of passionate individuals who want to make a positive impact on the world.

-Spending time in a workplace that wants to solve grand challenges and see IMPACT which gives a sense of purpose and fulfillment to my career and daily work life.

-I'm fairly early in my career, however I would say the workplace is extremely innovative and open. NOT your conventional office space and culture- which I like! It feels very exciting on a daily basis.

-My personal experiences with colleagues and the culture of XPRIZE is passionate, friendly, and hardworking individuals. Anyone that is a part of the XPRIZE ecosystem is naturally passionate about something they want to see improved in the world, which is uplifting!

-XPRIZE has been transitioning with it's new leadership/CEO, the changes being made are a necessity and crucial to the desired scale and impact we want to see as an organization... certainly we are taking steps in the right direction!

-As we start to scale, we see new and fresh talent! It's nice to get new ideas and talent coming in and people that are passionate about what we do.

-Having access and opportunities to learn of new cutting edge technologies and how they can benefit the world as well as engage with individuals in innovative ecosystems. This is such a useful and interesting learning experience that just becomes a part of your job.

-I personally have really enjoyed the people and experience since I've came on board with XPRIZE.

Cons

-Since we are scaling, the workload is currently on overload as we hire for new talent. (Everything we are doing is amazing! Which is why although a heavy workload can be stressful, people's hearts are in the work they are doing)

-There is a lot of change as we particularly want to focus on the Impact we can have on the world. This is a good thing in my opinion, however, some people are not used to change. Anyone that has been with XPRIZE for many years may not be adapting to so many moving parts and an exponentially changing organization. Again, personally, I thrive in this environment and enjoy seeing us strive to make a difference in the world (not to sound hokey, but I do!).

Advice to Management

-I'd like to explain my ratings! Everything is exceptional, for work life balance, I rated 4 stars as with recent developments within XPRIZE we need new people on board! This is something that I know we are working on.

-More importantly, for culture and values, I rated a 4 as well. This is for a number of reasons. As mentioned, everyone I've had the pleasure of working with at XPRIZE has been exceptionally positive and seems happy in their work and personal life. However, I think some people who may not be as content with their work and personal life are not adapting well to a changing organization. Now that we are held accountable and to a high standard (as we should be!) by our new leadership, some people may be put off by accountability and/or change. My advice to XPRIZE is this... the people of the organization that don't have the same values that XPRIZE stands for will eventually weed themselves out. Keep doing what you are doing!!! We want our staff to be comprised of individuals with the upmost integrity, work ethic, and drive to make a difference in the world. Keep moving forward and striving towards impact!

"Energy has been lost..."

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time

Pros

Employees/Staff are great colleagues, fun to work with and intelligent

Cons

CEO has been the following: narcissist, oblivious, incompetent, unwilling to listen and takes the action of "his way is the only right way". Does not listen to any recommendations of the staff or even his leadership team. He thinks his way is the only way to do something and does not listen to anyone...so many people in tis company are smart and have the institutional knowledge of what should be done but he is so ego driven that he does not want to listen. If you consistently stand against his thinking or ideas you are then ignored and out of that inner circle. He claims he has an open door policy...true to some extent. He will sell you on what you want to hear at that given moment and in the end do either the exact opposite or do what he said he would not do. Has has lost so much respect from the staff and is not looked upon as a leader.

Has so many back door deals that seam really suspect and the staff all knows the truth is not being told or given. Everyone at some point has spoken up against something he is doing and every time it is shot down and ignored. At this point all staff and leadership just say "ok" to everything he says because it is pointless saying anything. So much money is being wasted and not being used wisely especially since we are a non profit company. He likes to pay his consultants an extremely high amount of money and does not hold them accountable even when issues have been constantly raised.

His leadership team is not allowed to lead as he needs to micromanage everyone and therefore if you are hired in a leadership role it seems you are already set up to fail. He is gullible as he only listens to two people that seem to either tell him what he wants to hear or make false accusations against departments and people and he eats it all up. He is making a mockery of what a CEO should be and how they act. It is a shame how XPRIZE has turned into and how people feel...he has deflated and sucked out the energy of the company. He will take the biggest checks from any company regardless of where they stand - as that is all he sees. A CEO should care of his employees, take there recommendations, listen to them...every meeting, every conference, award show, summit turns into the "Marcus Show" where again and again it turns into himself, how great he is and what he is doing for the company...it turns into a sales pitch.

Advice to Management

It would be great for the board to look into what is happening with the company, talk to staff, listen to staff because there has been a high turn over solely because of Marcus and more will continue and it is a shame if we continue to lose staff over one CEO that is turning the company in a negative brand. The board should look into the finances and see how he is spending the money .

NOTE: Peter Diamandis is not the CEO...it is Marcus. Peter is actually high respected and looked upon for leadership...wish he would intervene more.