Xanterra - A good company for a year, or for retirement, but not for a career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Xanterra

"A good company for a year, or for retirement, but not for a career"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Yellowstone National Park, WY
Former Employee - Team Leader in Yellowstone National Park, WY

Pros

Work located in very nice places, national parks usually. Xanterra actually goes to pretty great lengths to provide services (counseling, entertainment, recreation, comraderie) to it's employees. They sponsor a lot of employee sports, talent contests, open mike's, stuff like that to provide entertainment in the dullness of a National Park (yes it can be dull). Because Xanterra employees live, work, eat, and recreate together the sense of community is tremendous. Management is friendly, approachable, and likeable, usually they are cooperative. Management does a great deal to make employees feel valued and to recognize good work. The gifts Xanterra gives you are a nice touch.

Cons

Horrible jobs, and the worse your job is, the lower the salary. No opportunity for advancement for seasonal employees, despite the fact that it's a seasonal company. Xanterra can attract and employ some pretty scumy people... dormitories can be loud, raucous, laced with drugs, sex, etc. The communal bond that develops between Xanterra employees is generally strengthened by a shared loathing of the company. Xanterra either works it's employees to the bone (if it didn't hire enough people) or it can't give everyone enough hours (if it hired too many). Either way the pay is a pittance compared to what you could make with other companies for the same work, and a large part of it comes out of your paycheck to pay for room and board.

Advice to Management

Stay out of lower level management's hair... they know what's going on better than you do anyway.

Other Employee Reviews for Xanterra

1. "My time at Xanterra"

I worked at Xanterra part-time

Pros

It provides much experience with the working world and with nature. It is all in a safe environment that ensures tranquility. The workers are treated fairly and it provides exposure.

Cons

The job is low pay and the hours are long.

2. "I had a great experience at first but then I started to get the feeling that they we're Money hungry"

Pros

Great location lots of things to do friendly environment easy to make friends an experience I wouldn't trade for anything

Cons

I got fired for not calling out of work properly but I was never taught the correct way by any of the managers I felt they don't teach you how to have a reason to fire you

Advice to Management

Teach people proper call out procedure and be more understanding