Xcel Energy - Some bureaucracy, but overall a good place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Xcel Energy

"Some bureaucracy, but overall a good place to work"

Former Employee - Purchased Power Analyst in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Purchased Power Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I got to move around and try three different positions in five years. Lateral moves are easy (much easier than getting in from the outside). Very green company and really nice people.

Cons

Lots of layers of approval hierarchy above me. Quite a bit of politics but I suppose that is to be expected with an 11000 employee company who is regulated and publicly traded.

Advice to Management

Have trust in some of the more junior staff for making decisions. Have them justify it but don't dive in and micro manage after the fact. Provide opportunities for external folks as well as internal folks.

Other Employee Reviews for Xcel Energy

"Mixed"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My most vivid memories of Xcel will always be of the hugely intelligence, fun people I worked with for more than 20 years. I was given slow, but steady advancement during the time I worked there, and there was usually an adequate incentive bonus (only during the time I was a full employee anyway!), and usually there were adequate benefits. For the most part, the workplace was laid back and easy, and the workforce was usually diverse and fun to be a part of. As a card-carrying geek, I might have stood out from some of my crowd sometimes, but I was never led to believe that it was in a bad way. People accepted me into their groups simply for my contribution to our community's success.

Those of us in Minneapolis (2013 Summer) know what we went through with the worst weather assault on our grid ever, and we know what this colossal dinosaur or a company was able to mobilize and accomplish over the course of 3-4 days. When you work at the company through a disaster like that, and you accomplish what Xcel accomplished in less than a week, you really feel like you're doing God's work.

Cons

* Not all Xcel work environments are created equal. The downtown Minneapolis headquarters is somnolent and stifling. You never know when you might share the elevator with a CEO, and you know he'll never speak to you. The service centers, however, have a much more laid back, democratic air about them.
    * All of IT should be destroyed and rebuilt from the ground up. There has been more than a decade of neglect therein, and nothing would be better for it than a good torch.
    * Like so many enterprises, the relationship between IT and the Business must be rebuilt anew. There are so few formal ties between those two entities, it is no wonder they seldom complement each other these days.
    * Xcel Energy is beholden to jurisdictions that include cities, towns, eight states, and the federal government. It's hard to turn around in that environment without bumping into some government geek or other that wants to tell you what to do. Not all geeks are created equal either. Some folks in the government can be really annoying. On the other hand, as we discovered (Mpls 2013 Summer), some folks in your local utility can really get you out of a jam in a hurry.
    * If you throw yourself into this mix, make sure you have a champion: someone who knows what you do, values it, and can explain to others what you are worth. Without that you will go nowhere!

Advice to Management

* Do something with IT!
    * Get rid of the current, stupid employee review setup (IPAD)!
    * Forget incentive pay. Just pay people what they are worth!
    * Fix your worthless health benefits. For several years now people have been self-insuring under the current worthless plan.
    * Re-analyze your investment in shuffling your MBAs around the company. This is such an obvious problem that it has become a joke amongst the rank-and-file. You seem to be searching for a place for these "average talents" (that you have perhaps mistakenly hireds) to eventually be successful. Perhaps you would have be better off just finding some excellent talent to begin with.
    * Re-organize Marketing, Market Research, and Account Management from the bottom up. Marketing needs a new outlook from top to bottom. The buyer-seller situation has changed completely in the last decade, but there has been little new talent there for two decades past. I suspect the requisite talent in that department is missing these days.

"How they keep the lights on I do not know"

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Other they receiving my pay check (however they did take out the wrong states income tax....)' no pros....

Cons

Way too many, no organization, too tied up in internal does and fonts, I didn't feel at comfortable, as if it was a big lie....

Advice to Management

Buck up and stop playing just lip service to the systems that you have in place.....